Sri Lankan President says Tamil rebels defeatedMay 16th, 2009 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 16 (DPA) Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa Saturday declared that the Tamil rebels have been defeated militarily.
“I am proud to announce that my government with the total commitment of our armed forces has, in an unprecedented humanitarian operation, finally defeated the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) militarily,” Rajapaksa said.
He made the claim while in Jordan, on an official visit, with the remarks reported in Colombo.
Rajapaksa was due to return Sunday to the Sri Lankan capital. “I will be returning to a country which has been totally liberated from the barbaric deeds of the LTTE,” he said.
The 25-year-old conflict, in which the LTTE has been fighting for an independent homeland for Sri Lanka’s minority Tamils, has killed more than 70,000 people.
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Don't attend Sri Lanka military conference: rights body - May 24, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Over 10,000 civilians held hostage by LTTE rescued: Sri Lanka - May 17, 2009
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran dead, claims Lankan army - May 17, 2009
- Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutiny - Jun 07, 2012
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Sri Lanka admits civilian deaths during separatist war - Aug 02, 2011
- Colombo treating us like 'aborigines', Tamils tell India - Jun 13, 2011
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games - Jul 12, 2012
- Don't seek exclusive rights to Sri Lanka, India told - Mar 01, 2012
- Sri Lanka claims rebels defeated; fighting continues (Roundup) - May 17, 2009
- Forget the past for Sri Lanka's good, says MP - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: armed forces, conflict, dpa, humanitarian operation, independent homeland, jordan, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, minority tamils, president mahinda rajapaksa, sri lanka, sri lankan capital, sri lankan president, tamil rebels, total commitment