Sri Lankan Navy kills 23 rebelsMay 1st, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 1 (Xinhua) At least 23 Tamil Tigers were killed when the Sri Lankan Navy destroyed their boats off the coast of northeastern Mullaitivu district, an official said Friday.
Navy spokesman Mahesh Karunaratne said two rebel suicide boats and an attack craft were destroyed at around 1 a.m.
The defence official said 58 underage rebels had given themselves up to the army at Kilinochchi, which was the former headquarters of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
They were between 14 and 18 years of age, the official said, adding that they would undergo medical examination before being sent to child soldier rehabilitation centre at Ambepussa, 40 km north of Colombo.
The LTTE has been fighting to carve out a separate state in Sri Lanka’s northern and eastern region over the past quarter century.
- Sri Lankan police send 'mass grave' ashes for forensic testing - Nov 26, 2010
- LTTE vessel carrying explosives destroyed: Sri Lankan Navy - Dec 20, 2008
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- 49 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games - Jul 12, 2012
- 23 Sea Tigers killed as Sri Lankan Navy foils suicide attack (Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Sri Lanka warns ex-Tamil rebels against revolting - Jan 22, 2012
- LTTE boat destroyed, four Sea Tigers killed: Sri Lankan Navy - Dec 28, 2008
- Satisfied with displaced Sri Lankan Tamils' rehabilitation : EU - Feb 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Pakistan to help de-mining in Sri Lanka - Oct 25, 2011
- Two Sea Tiger boats destroyed in naval battle: Sri Lanka - Nov 18, 2008
- Sri Lanka releases 100 LTTE rebels held in military-run camps - Dec 26, 2010
- Sri Lankan cabinet meets first time in north - Jul 14, 2010
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: 18 years, attack craft, boats, child soldier, kilinochchi, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte, mahesh, may 1, medical examination, mullaitivu district, navy spokesman, quarter century, rebels, rehabilitation centre, sri lankan navy, suicide, tamil tigers, underage, xinhua