Sri Lankan MPs to take up yoga classesDecember 11th, 2010 - 6:31 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, Dec 11 (ANI): Sri Lankan members of the parliament are to be offered yoga sessions with an intention to eliminate their high levels of stress, according to the practitioners.
“With peace in Sri Lanka, the most stressed-out people are now the politicians,” the BBC quoted the instructor in charge, Chamin Warnakula, as saying.
Warnakula, whose yoga organisation has produced a leaflet entitled “Yoga for MPs - For Mind, Body and Soul”, has further said that these politicians would take lessons on breathing and posture exercises, which would “teach them discipline, good behaviour, and how to control themselves in stressful situations”.
According to Sanjeewa Perera, a disciple of Warnakula, the sessions would be held at the start of parliamentary sessions and added that they can wear the same outfit for the yoga and for the sittings.
In recent weeks the Speaker, Chamal Rajapaksa, has had to call MPs to order several times. On Wednesday he suspended the proceedings and threatened to go home unless lawmakers behaved in a more professional way, the report said.
An opposition MP, Ranjan Ramanayake, has accused government MPs of constantly trying to intimidate and shout down those of this own party.
“We hope at least that by doing yoga they can learn to respect democracy and be more disciplined,” he added. (ANI)
- Many Christian churches in USA offer yoga - Nov 28, 2010
- Yoga has "avatars" in America - Jan 10, 2011
- Zed tells that yoga is a world heritage to be utilized by all - Sep 24, 2010
- Premier Catholic University in USA offers Yoga Philosophy course - Dec 29, 2010
- Hindus laud Lutheran Church for offering free yoga instruction - Sep 26, 2010
- The Catholic experiment to make yoga popular - Oct 17, 2011
- Now "Catholic Yoga" in America - Jan 24, 2011
- Hindus welcome Catholics to yoga - Feb 26, 2010
- Sweat, stretch, smile with Bikram Yoga (With Image) - Oct 20, 2010
- Protest against Sri Lankan delegation in Lok Sabha - Aug 01, 2011
- Hindus laud City of Cambridge for yoga pictures on parking tickets envelopes - Sep 25, 2010
- Try flute yoga to beat stress - Jul 21, 2012
- Free yoga to unemployed in USA - Dec 30, 2010
- Sri Lankan leaders heckled in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Yoga is 13th most popular physical activity among Aussies - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: body and soul, chamal, disciple, good behaviour, government mps, lawmakers, leaflet, levels of stress, members of the parliament, mind body and soul, opposition mp, parliamentary sessions, posture, rajapaksa, ranjan ramanayake, sittings, sri lankan, stressful situations, yoga classes, yoga sessions