Sri Lankan dies trying buried alive recordMarch 5th, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 5 (IANS) A Sri Lankan man has died while trying to set a record for the longest time spent buried alive, The Telegraph reported Monday.
Police said Janaka Basnayake, 24, buried himself over the weekend with the help of family and friends in a trench sealed with wood and soil.
The trench, dug in the town of Kantale, about 220 km from Colombo, was 10 feet deep.
Basnayake was buried around 9.30 a.m. Saturday. Police said that when he was brought to the surface at 4 p.m., he was unconscious and was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
The Kantale hospital said a post-mortem could not determine the cause of death and further medical investigations are being conducted, according to the Telegraph.
- 16 Year Old Girl Punished By Being Buried Alive - Feb 07, 2010
- Bleeding killed 'whipped to death' Bangladesh girl, finds fresh post-mortem report - Feb 10, 2011
- Charred body found at Delhi nursery - Apr 18, 2012
- 'Dead man' comes alive while being taken for post-mortem - May 05, 2011
- Australian tourist found dead in Jaipur hotel - Dec 15, 2011
- Four juveniles held for murder - Feb 28, 2011
- Congress leader dies in mysterious circumstances - Aug 10, 2012
- Pregnant woman found dead, parents allege murder - Apr 09, 2011
- Driven by superstition, they dig out dead woman's body - Jun 06, 2011
- Dutch tourist dies in Rajasthan hospital - Sep 05, 2011
- Class 9 boy jumps off building, dies - Sep 06, 2012
- Man crushed to death by bus in capital - Jan 18, 2011
- Three police officials suspended for dereliction of duty - Jan 26, 2012
- Man found dead in mysterious circumstances - Apr 12, 2011
- Boy declared dead wakes up in mortuary, doctor suspended - Nov 07, 2011