Sri Lankan cricketers likely to get a pay hikeApril 12th, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 12 (IANS) Sri Lankan cricketers are all set to receive a substantial salary increment when their annual contracts are renewed later this month.
According to a media report, the Cricket Player’s Association (CPA) and Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) are on the verge of signing the new yearly contracts for the players after having reached consensus on all major issues concerned.
“There would be a substantial increase in the payments for players as they had performed well in the recent past. The contracts will be signed before the players leave for the T20 World Cup which will take place in England in June,” Graeme Labrooy, CPA secretary, was quoted as saying by the Sunday Times.
It is also reported that two experienced players who have done extremely well in the recent past have been upgraded in their ranks, while a very senior player who is in the top category is facing problems in retaining his position in the same slot.
According to the last year agreement, former skipper Mahela Jayawardena, Kumar Sangakkara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Chaminda Vaas, Sanath Jayasuriya and Marvan Atapattu were included in the grade A, that has a pay packet of $100,000.
However, one of these senior players is finding it difficult to hold on to that slot while the retired Atapattu, who had joined the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL), has been omitted from the list.
Although there were no players in grade B ($60,000), it is reported that two players are likely to be elevated to this grade due to their excellent performances.
The rest of the contracted players will be in grades C, D and E, that offers $45,000, $35,000 and $25,000, respectively.
- Sri Lankan cricketers agree to return home early for England tour - Apr 20, 2011
- 'No one's ever going to replace Murali', says Sri Lanka coach - Oct 29, 2010
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Ageing Jayasuriya among Sri Lanka's probables for T20 World Cup - Apr 04, 2009
- Seven Indian cricketers in fray for ODI dream team - Dec 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka call-up Vaas, Randiv as cover for injured Muralidaran, Mathews - Mar 31, 2011
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- Dilshan, Tharanga set World Cup records (Match highlights) - Mar 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka sports minister irked at ban being lifted on ICL players - Sep 22, 2008
- Sanath Jayasuriya in "Na Bole Tum...' - Jun 27, 2012
- Sri Lanka Cricket softens its stand on ICL players - Sep 19, 2008
- Samuels, Bishoo, Kirk Edwards get WICB contracts - Oct 22, 2011
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka board drops Jayasuriya from contract list - Apr 11, 2008
Tags: cpa, cricket league, cricket player, indian cricket, jayasuriya, kumar sangakkara, marvan atapattu, muralitharan, pay packet, salary increment, sanath jayasuriya, skipper, slc, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan cricketers, substantial increase, sunday times, t20 world cup, vaas, verge