Sri Lanka urges aid agencies to help displaced civiliansMay 5th, 2009 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 5 (Xinhua) The Sri Lankan government has sought the assistance of international aid agencies to rehabilitate the displaced civilians in the ongoing military conflict.
Human Rights Minister Mahinda Samarasinghe said Colombo has sought assistance from the global community to help the displaced people in consultation with the government.
“We explained to ambassadors and representatives that we need assistance only for government identified areas of assistance. We have a framework and we need money in addition to what the government would spend,” Samarasinghe told reporters Tuesday.
The minister said India’s assistance for the displaced people was a clear example of the consultation process that international aid agencies must follow for helping the affected population.
India has pledged to provide family kits comprising clothes and other materials for the displaced people.
Sri Lanka is in urgent need of humanitarian assistance such as shelter, nutrition and sanitation for around 200,000 Tamil civilians displaced by the conflict in the island nation, Samarasinghe said.
The displaced people are currently housed in relief camps in the northern districts of Vavuniya, Mannar and Jaffna.
In the coming days, more people are expected to leave the battle zone in the northeastern district of Mullaithivu.
- India assures Lanka's displaced Tamils of help in resettlement - Aug 31, 2010
- Resettlement of Sri Lankans displaced in LTTE battle by September end: Official - Aug 20, 2010
- Mathai raises issue of Tamil fishermen with Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2011
- India reassures Sri Lankan Tamils of speedy resettlement - Sep 02, 2010
- India asks Sri Lanka to find political solution - Sep 02, 2010
- Krishna brings healing touch to Tamils (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Krishna likely to open strategic Jaffna, Hambantota consulates in Oct end - Oct 05, 2010
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- India assures assistance to Sri Lanka's war-displaced Tamils - Aug 31, 2010
- Krishna to visit Sri Lanka Jan 16 - Jan 07, 2012
- 38,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floods - Dec 22, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka take ties to new heights (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Krishna flies to Jaffna to assist ethnic Tamils - Jan 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka seeks aid for civilian crisis, endgame for LTTE (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2009
Tags: ambassadors, battle zone, clothes, consultation process, global community, human rights minister, humanitarian assistance, island nation, jaffna, mahinda, mannar, military conflict, northeastern district, relief camps, samarasinghe, sanitation, sri lanka, sri lankan government, tamil civilians, xinhua