Sri Lanka says gas field found in northwestern seaOctober 3rd, 2011 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Colomo, Oct 2 (IANS) Sri Lanka announced Sunday that explorers had found a gas field in the northwestern sea of the country.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa made the announcement at a public event in Kandy in central Sri Lanka.
He said the gas field was found in the sea of Mannar and this was the first time the existence of a gas field in the country has been confirmed, reported Xinhua.
An Indian company involved in exploring discovered the gas field, the presidential office said.
Cairn Lanka, a subsidiary of Cairn India, has been drilling in the sea of Mannar as part of a deal with the Sri Lankan government.
Sri Lanka had offered blocks to India and China to explore for gas and oil after the Sri Lankan authorities said they believed there was oil and gas under the sea in the Mannar basin.
A drillship had been used to drill three wells in the Mannar basin in Sri Lanka since August this year by Cairn Lanka.
“Further drilling will be required to establish the commerciality of the discovery,” Cairn said in a statement.
- Sri lanka finds first gas field off Mannar - Oct 03, 2011
- Indian company drills second oil well in Sri Lanka - Oct 22, 2011
- Cairn India starts oil exploration in Sri Lanka - Aug 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka to call for oil exploration bids - Oct 06, 2011
- Cairn India and PetroSA deal on oil exploration in South Africa - Aug 16, 2012
- Vedanta enters oil prospecting with $8.5-$9.6 bn Cairn deal (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2010
- Cairn India strikes oil in Krishna Godavari basin - Aug 23, 2010
- Vedanta to pick up majority stake in Cairn India (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- Sri Lankan president orders security for Nasheed's wife - Feb 11, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Vietnam ink oil deal - Oct 14, 2011
- Zardari sets $2 bn trade target with Sri Lanka - Feb 11, 2012
- Sri Lanka, China seek to strengthen military ties - Sep 01, 2012
- India-Sri Lankan knowledge initiative launched - Jun 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Vedanta meets all conditions for stake buy out: Cairn - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: cairn india, central sri lanka, china, discovery, drillship, existence, explorers, government sri lanka, kandy, mahinda rajapaksa, mannar, oil and gas, sri lankan authorities, sri lankan government, subsidiary, three wells, xinhua