Sri Lanka protests over LTTE stamps in FranceJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 3 (IANS) Sri Lankan Foreign Minister G.L. Peiris Tuesday met French ambassador to Colombo Christine Robichon and lodged a protest over postage stamps issued in France with images of rebels of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Peiris said it was the responsibility of the French government to ensure that such publication should not have happened and their circulation should be cancelled with immediate effect, Xinhua reported citing a foreign ministry statement.
He said failure to take action in this regard would portray in an erroneous manner the French attitude to global terrorism.
Robichon told the minister that a press statement has been released by the French embassy in Colombo that said the stamps were neither a part of the official philatelic programme of France nor on sale in French post offices.
She said individuals had used the online service offered by La Poste through which customers could order limited quantities of personalised stamps.
The French envoy said La Poste had failed to detect the violation of the conditions and had printed the stamps by mistake.
The Sri Lankan military brought an end to the 30-year civil war by defeating the Tamil Tiger rebels in May 2009.
- Sri Lanka needs home-grown path to peace: Minister - May 16, 2012
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil refugees, devolution (Second Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Sri Lanka rejects gory Tamil massacre pics as rebel propoganda - Oct 20, 2010
- Indian delegation arrives in Sri Lanka - Jun 10, 2011
- Lankan Tamil massacre pix release may overshadow FM's UK visit - Oct 19, 2010
- Sri Lanka assures India over devolution package (Second Lead) - Oct 16, 2010
- India, Sri Lanka likely to launch defence dialogue next year - Nov 23, 2010
- Indian and Sri Lankan foreign ministers discuss rehabilitation of Tamils - Oct 14, 2010
- Krishna brings healing touch to Tamils (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games - Jul 12, 2012
- Ramesh to review India-aided projects in Sri Lanka - Jul 12, 2012
- Menon, Rao heading to Colombo for weekend talks - Jun 09, 2011
- Only 20,000 refugees remain, Sri Lanka tells India - Oct 15, 2010
- LTTE operating camps in Tamil Nadu: Lankan PM - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: colombo, foreign ministry, french ambassador, french attitude, french embassy, french envoy, french government, global terrorism, la poste, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, limited quantities, ministry statement, peiris, personalised stamps, post offices, postage stamps, sri lankan military, tamil tiger rebels, xinhua