Sri Lanka open to talk with LTTE: RajapakseNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:12 am ICT by admin
“In this, it would not be out of place to look forward to understanding and assistance from our regional neighbours and friends, especially those with whom we share the strongest bonds throughout history,” he said, in a clear reference to India.
At the same time, Rajapakse said that Colombo was meeting the “terrorist challenge” from the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) “with increasing success today”.
During his speech, Rajapakse emphasised that India should be an opportunity and not a threat to its neighbours.
Emphasising that his government was committed to fighting terrorism, Rajapakse said “we are equally committed to seeking a negotiated and sustainable solution to the conflict in Sri Lanka.”
Rajapakse said the ethnic conflict in his country, which has claimed thousands of lives, “has been exploited by separatist forces” and also “pose a threat to India”.
He said everyone in the region looked at India “for a future strong economic leadership” and urged New Delhi to help its neighbours “too to become economically stable”. (ANI)
- Colombo mulling power sharing with Tamils: Peiris - May 17, 2011
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of empowering ethnic Tamils (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Mathai to visit Sri Lanka - Oct 05, 2011
- PM reminds Rajapaksa India's key role in Geneva - Mar 24, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Krishna heads to Lanka, hopes for solution to Tamils' problems (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- India non-committal on 'war crimes', studying 'sentiments'(Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka to jointly develop fisheries - Jan 15, 2012
- Reconciliation ministry mooted in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, tries to pacify Colombo (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sri Lanka at 'critical point' post-LTTE, says politician (Interview) - Nov 15, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamils want self-determination: Diaspora group - Jan 16, 2012
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- 'Sri Lanka's ties with China no threat to India' - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: claimed thousands, conflict in sri lanka, democratic solution, economic leadership, ethnic conflict, fighting terrorism, India, leadership summit, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, reciprocate, regional neighbours, separatist forces, speech, sustainable solution