Sri Lanka Navy kills 25 Tamil TigersApril 29th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 29 (Xinhua) Sri Lanka Navy Wednesday said they had killed at least 25 Tamil Tigers and destroyed six of their boats in a pre-dawn attack.
Navy spokesman Capt D.K.P. Dassanayake said the navy had spotted six boats of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels at 4 a.m. off the northeastern coast of Mullaithivu.
At least four of them were on a suicide mission.
The military says they are in the final phase of a campaign to crush the rebels who have been fighting for an independent homeland for minority Tamils for the last 25 years.
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- LTTE boat destroyed, four Sea Tigers killed: Sri Lankan Navy - Dec 28, 2008
- Navy sinks two LTTE boats, kills six cadres: Sri Lanka - Feb 08, 2009
- 14 Sea Tigers killed: Sri Lankan Navy - Nov 01, 2008
- Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games - Jul 12, 2012
- 49 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Resettlement of Sri Lankans displaced in LTTE battle by September end: Official - Aug 20, 2010
- LTTE suicide-boat attack damages one ship off Jaffna coast (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- LTTE suicide attack damages one ship off Jaffna coast (Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- LTTE sea-borne attack foiled, 18 rebels killed: Sri Lanka - Apr 04, 2009
- Sri Lankan Navy kills 23 rebels - May 01, 2009
- 27 killed in sea clash with LTTE: Sri Lankan military - Mar 30, 2009
- Two Sea Tiger boats destroyed in naval battle: Sri Lanka - Nov 18, 2008
- Four LTTE boats destroyed, navy craft damaged in major clash: Lanka - Jan 20, 2009
Tags: april 29, boats, capt, dawn attack, final phase, independent homeland, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte rebels, minority tamils, navy spokesman, northeastern coast, pre dawn, sri lanka navy, suicide mission, tamil tigers, xinhua