Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to AustraliaMay 28th, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 28 (IANS) The Sri Lankan police Monday arrested 113 people as they attempted to set sail to Australia illegally.
Six human smugglers were also arrested in the pre-dawn operation in Colombo and in the coastal town of Negombo, police spokesman Ajith Rohana said.
Vehicles used to transport the asylum seekers were also seized, Xinhua reported.
Each person had paid over $2,000 for the illegal journey aboard a boat to Australia.
Sri Lanka and Australia have an agreement to check illegal immigrants.
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan politician arrested for human smuggling - Jul 25, 2012
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- 232 Sri Lankans held while illegally migrating - Jul 16, 2012
- 36 Sri Lankans deported, reach Colombo (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sri Lanka fishermen clash with cops over fuel price hike - Feb 15, 2012
- Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Australia hires ad agency to battle illegal immigration - Oct 06, 2009
- Over 400 suffer food poisoning in Sri Lanka - Jul 16, 2012
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- Australia says boat carrying 67 asylum seekers is missing - Aug 15, 2012
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- Man held in Sri Lanka with cocaine in belly - May 02, 2012
- 150 Sri Lankans headed for Australia detained in Kerala - Jun 05, 2012
- Sri Lanka records rise in rapes of children - Jul 05, 2012