Spurt in Indian applications for British visas, delays possibleJune 8th, 2010 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 8 (IANS) A heavy rush for visas is causing processing delays at the British High Commission in New Delhi, according to officials of the UK Border Agency.
The last few weeks has seen a major increase in the number of visa applications from Indians wanting to visit Britain. Applicants are facing waits of up to five to 10 weeks.
Global Visas, a visa and immigration solutions firm with offices in both London and Delhi, quoted an immigration spokesperson as saying that the Delhi office was trying to get the visas approved as quickly as possible.
“We have seen year on year increases in the number of visitor visa applications of about 20 percent. We are currently in the peak season for visitor visa applications, so it is even more important to make applications in good time.”
The spokesperson said the shortest waits will be for people who have already visited Britain within the last year. Those people can expect to have their visas approved within a week.
However, people wishing to travel to the country this year are being advised to apply at least 5-10 weeks in advance of their scheduled trip to make sure they have their visa in time.
- Britain opens visa application centre in Bangalore - May 21, 2012
- Canada issues first `super visa' - Dec 20, 2011
- New interview-less US visa process for some categories - Jun 29, 2012
- Britain expects more tourists from India in 2011 - Mar 25, 2011
- Britain to open deputy high commission in Chandigarh - May 23, 2012
- VFS to provide Thai visa services in Bangalore - Apr 20, 2012
- Indian couple jailed in British immigration scam - May 17, 2012
- US unveils new scheme to ease visa renewal - Mar 21, 2012
- Shunning Pakistan, Afghans rush to India for quality healthcare - May 29, 2011
- US to issue 14 percent more visas for Indians - Jan 27, 2012
- Britain tops EU asylum seekers' list - Jun 30, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani elders to get visas on arrival (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Number of US visa applications rise in China, Brazil - Jan 13, 2012
- Sri Lanka launches online visa approval system - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: british high commission, british high commission in new delhi, delhi office, good time, heavy rush, immigration, indians, london, peak season, solutions firm, spokesperson, spurt, visa applications, visitor visa