Spring has sprung in BritainMarch 1st, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 1 (IANS) Wild flowers burst into vivid colours as spring arrived in its full glory across much of Britain, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.
The unusually balmy temperatures also brought sun worshipers flocking to Britain’s beaches and parks to make the most of the mini heatwave.
And as March brings yet more sunshine and clear sky, data collected by the Met Office looks set to put February as one of the driest on record.
But forecasters have delivered bad news for anyone hoping our extraordinary run of unseasonable warmth is set to last.
It looks like Britain will return to more average weather over the weekend, the newspaper added.
The sunshine will be replaced by the more usual colder, wetter conditions drawn in from the chilly east.
Met Office spokesman Dan Williams said: “This month’s weather has really been a tale of two halves.”
“Statistically, the UK has seen a remarkably average overall month.”
“That’s more due to the fact we had a very cold first half, followed by an unseasonably warm period. The two extremes balanced each other out,” he said.
Even the snowy and freezing weather from the first half of February did not bring with it much water - despite huge dumps of snow.
The highest snow-depth of 15 cm was reported Feb 5, at Church Fenton, north Yorkshire, and at Wattisham, Suffolk.
The lowest temperature reported was a bone-chilling minus 15.6 degrees Centigrade Feb 11, at Holbeach, Lincolnshire.
But from mid-February, the freezing cold started to loosen its grip as westerly conditions, as an air-stream originating from further south in the Atlantic drew in warm air.
- Britain braces for cold again - Mar 03, 2012
- Deep freeze threatens Britain - Feb 03, 2012
- Britain shivers in Artic cold - Apr 04, 2012
- Britain set for balmy temperatures - Feb 20, 2012
- Britain braces for deep-freeze, snowy weekend - Feb 08, 2012
- It's official: It was the coldest December in Britain in 120 years - Jan 01, 2011
- Leh freezes at minus 18 - season's lowest - Dec 23, 2011
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- Intense cold grips Kashmir Valley - Jan 22, 2012
- Chill freezes Himachal hills - Dec 06, 2011
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- Australia experienced hottest decade on record due to global warming - Jan 05, 2010
- Warm day, cold night in plains; no respite for Himalayan towns (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2011
- Rare snowfall stuns South Africa - Aug 09, 2012
- Britain braces for a white Christmas - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: air stream, britain london, church fenton, clear sky, daily mail, dumps, forecasters, further south, heatwave, holbeach lincolnshire, london march, north yorkshire, office spokesman, snow depth, sun worshipers, unseasonable warmth, vivid colours, warm period, wetter conditions, wild flowers