Spooky sightings of ghosts and evil spirits in Britain highest in 25 yearsApril 26th, 2010 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 26 (ANI): In Britain, spooky sightings of ghouls, ghosts and evil spirits have come out to be higher than they have been in the past 25 years, according to a new report. There have been nearly 1,000 reports of demonic activity in the past quarter of a century, with Yorkshire the nation’s most ghostly county.
Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.
The research was led by the UKs leading authority on the unexplained Lionel Fanthorpe who studied various archives and websites as well as his own reports to identify all sightings and recordings of supernatural beings with satanic qualities.
The study found that despite being in time of accelerating technology, 21st century Britons have not turned their back on ghouls, boggarts, hell-hounds, witches, wizards, banshees and black magic curses.
The report registered a whopping 968 reports of demonic activity in the past 25 years.
It identified Yorkshire as the centre of ghostly goings-on demonic activity with 74 reports of demons, including Uncabus and Succubus (male and female demons that make sexual attacks on sleeping victims), instances of demonic possession and sightings of hell hounds, water demons and demons with repulsive forms such as ghouls and werewolves.
Devonshire rated second in the study with 57 reports of sinister activity, mainly from encounters with or sightings of demons with devil like qualities.
Third in the spooky activity table is Somerset, which hosts the highest number of monsters and has 51 sightings or reports of demonic entities, with Wiltshire coming in fourth with 46 sightings of demons.
People in Inverness report sightings of 13 water ghosts in the last 25 years-evil spirits whose main purpose is to lure their victims into dangerous water and then drown them.
The Demonic Britain report was carried out for the latest DVD release of US TV series Supernatural, normally broadcast on the cable channel Living.
This report clearly shows we are a nation still rich in sightings and reports of devils, demons and evil spirits of various forms,” the Telegraph quoted Lionel Fanthorpe as saying.
“The present human population is many times greater than it was in the past. Therefore the more people that there are, statistically, the more potential encounters they might have with these unpleasant, non-human entities,” he added.
Top 10 ghostly sightings by area:
1 Yorkshire 74 2 Devonshire 57 3 Somerset 51 4 Wiltshire 46 5 Inverness 39 6 Dorset 37 7 = Norfolk 32 7 = Lancashire 32 8 = Sussex 30 8 = Derbyshire 30 9 = Essex 29 9 = Suffolk 29 10 Lincolnshire 24 (ANI)
- 'Ghost Adventures Crew' want to probe 'haunted' 'Idol' mansion - Mar 28, 2011
- Britain's spookiest spots and incidents revealed - Sep 28, 2009
- Record 227 paranormal events spooked Britain last year - Sep 27, 2010
- Spooky tales from the hills - Jul 10, 2012
- Paranormal Activity 2 New Trailer Out - Oct 03, 2010
- Jackson's family compound haunted by ghosts - Aug 22, 2010
- Superstitious beliefs more common than thought - Oct 30, 2010
- Lady Gaga Orders Ghost Buster Machine To Ward Off Evil Spirit! - Jun 01, 2010
- 'Ghost Rider - Spirit of Vengeance' a thrilling ride for youngsters (IANS Movie Review) - Feb 17, 2012
- "Ghost Intervention": TLC's Latest Attempt To Woo Supernatural Lovers - Dec 13, 2009
- "Ghost Hunters" Runs Live For Six Hours On Sify - Nov 01, 2010
- Printable Pumpkin Carving Pattern Makes For Better Carving - Oct 25, 2010
- 25 percent of adult Brits have seen ghosts - Mar 04, 2011
- 'Evil horseman' from 'Lord of the Rings' in waterfall shocks Brit couple - Sep 11, 2010
- I believe in ghosts: Bengali children's writer (Interview) - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,