Spike Lee wants boycott of New York Post over chimpanzee cartoonFebruary 21st, 2009 - 2:56 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb.21 (ANI): Filmmaker Spike Lee called on celebrities to join a boycott of the New York Post Friday during a raucous protest of a racially charged cartoon.
Joined by his 11-year-old son, Lee told a crowd of about 300 people that he has bought the tabloid in the past - but no more.
According to the New York Daily News, he suggested athletes and entertainers shun the paper’’s writers because of Wednesday’’s cartoon, which compared President Obama with a crazed chimp by some interpretations.
“This is not the end,” Lee told the demonstrators, who marched in front of the Post’’s offices near Rockefeller Center shouting, “Shut it down.”
“It’’s not just black folks. It’’s an insult to everybody.”
The Rev. Al Sharpton, who called the paper a racist rag sheet and TV judge Greg Mathis, who said executives from parent company News Corp. must be held accountable, joined him.
The protest leaders are calling on advertisers to boycott the Post and are vowing to take their money out of banks that buy space in the paper.
The single-panel cartoon by Sean Delonas showed the bloody body of the chimp responsible for Monday’’s attack on a woman in Connecticut, with two cops.
“They”ll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill,” one of the cops says.
The paper printed a half-hearted “apology” for offending anyone with the cartoon Friday - but protesters said the note, with its dig at Sharpton, was insincere. (ANI)
- New York Post in trouble over likening Obama to a chimpanzee - Feb 19, 2009
- Sharpton, black leaders planning boycott of New York Post over chimp cartoon - Feb 20, 2009
- New York Posts cartoon is an invitation to assassinate Obama: NAACP - Feb 23, 2009
- The Reverand Al Sharpton to Launch Sunday Morning Show 'Education Superhighway' - Sep 15, 2010
- Al Sharpton To Host New Sunday Show On Education - Sep 15, 2010
- New York Post monkey cartoon triggers race row (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 20, 2009
- New York Post apologizes for `Obama''related chimp cartoon - Feb 20, 2009
- NY Gov. Paterson gets laugh with Tiger Woods joke on Al Sharpton's b'day - Oct 10, 2010
- Massive protest against 'racist' New York Post monkey cartoon - Feb 20, 2009
- Rev. Al Sharpton to launch a Sunday-morning show - Sep 15, 2010
- Government apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Chris Bosh doesn't wants his ex to appear on 'Basketball Wives' - May 04, 2011
- 'Racist' cartoon sparks demand for closure of US newspaper (Second Lead) - Feb 20, 2009
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Third Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Raza painting to be sold by Sotheby's (With Image) - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: al sharpton, black folks, bloody body, boycott, chimp, chimpanzee, demonstrators, filmmaker spike lee, judge greg mathis, new york daily news, new york post, news corp, obama, panel cartoon, protest leaders, rev al sharpton, rockefeller center, sean delonas, spike lee, york daily news