Sphinx-lined road unearthed in EgyptNovember 16th, 2010 - 6:37 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 16 (ANI): Egyptian archaeologists have discovered an ancient road lined with sphinxes in Luxor.
Twelve sphinxes were found along the road in the last section of the ‘Avenue of Sphinxes’, a 2.7-km alley that connects the temples of Luxor and Karnak from north to south on the east bank of the Nile River, reports Discovery News.
Inscribed with the name Nectanebo I, the 30th Dynasty King (380-362 B.C.), most sphinxes were missing their heads.
Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that the discovery was made during an excavation work aimed at restoring the Avenue.
Mentioned in several ancient texts, the Avenue, lined with around 1,350 sphinxes, was used for religious ceremonies and processions.
“The King used this road for religious processions. Along this way the sacred boat of Amun, king of the gods, travelled on the god’s annual trip to visit his wife, Mut, at Luxor temple,” said Hawass.
According to Mansour Boraik, supervisor of Luxor Antiquities, this was the first time a new road that runs from east to west, toward the Nile, has been discovered.
The entire ‘Avenue of Sphinxes’ will be restored by March 2011. (ANI)
- Egypt to open avenue of sphinxes to public - Jul 02, 2011
- Remains of church, 'nilometer' discovered on Egypt's Avenue of Sphinxes - May 12, 2010
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- Temple of Tut's grandad could be home to ancient statues - May 18, 2010
- Egyptian Tomb's Door To Afterlife Unearthed - Apr 03, 2010
- Ancient walls that protected Sphinx from desert winds uncovered - Nov 03, 2010
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Egypt unearths 3,400-year-old Pharaoh statue - Nov 05, 2010
- Campbell 'to wed Russian billionaire beau at ancient Egyptian temple' - Nov 12, 2010
- Artefacts stolen from Egypt's national museum - Feb 13, 2011
- Statue of Tutankhamun's grandfather found - Oct 04, 2010
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
Tags: 30th dynasty, ancient texts, avenue of sphinxes, discovery news, dynasty king, egypt, egyptian archaeologists, excavation work, karnak, king of the gods, luxor, mut, nile river, religious ceremonies, religious processions, road that runs from, sphinx, supervisor, supreme council of antiquities, temples