Speeding Swedish drivers’ fines to fund lottery for safe drivers!November 29th, 2010 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Nov 29 (ANI): It’s the most innovative way yet, to encourage safe driving practices in Sweden - a lottery for law-abiding drivers - funded by fines from speeding motorists.
The Swedish National Society for Road Safety conducted the trial after it was suggested as a means of rewarding people who obeyed speed limits in Stockholm rather than breaking the rules.
A traffic camera takes a photo of every speeding vehicle. Then, the vehicle’s owner is issued with an infringement notice, with the fine tipped into a pool of money, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
However, if the car is obeying the speed limit, the owner is sent a lottery ticket giving them a chance to win a share of the speeding motorists’ fines.
The experiment was able to reduce the average speed of cars travelling through a school zone from 32km/h before the system’s installation to 25km/h.
The idea behind the Speed Camera Lottery was entered in a competition run by Volkswagen to discover fun ways to encourage people to change their behaviour. (ANI)
- Bugatti Veyron Driver Lets Supercar Loose On Autobahn - Feb 04, 2011
- World's fastest solar car has power of household toaster! - Jan 07, 2011
- World's fastest solar car produces same power as toaster uses! - Jan 07, 2011
- Warnie looks after me in Melbourne, just as Sachin and Ganguly do in India: Pietersen - Dec 09, 2010
- Check the speed! Expressway accidents cause concern - Sep 01, 2012
- Police cameras to watch 'devils on wheel' - Mar 20, 2012
- Man banned from driving for 56 years - Jul 23, 2012
- 40km/h limit for Delhi CWG buses done away with to foil potential terror attacks - Sep 16, 2010
- Volvo cars sales shrink in China - Aug 16, 2012
- Beijing has over 5 mn car owners - Feb 17, 2012
- Pietersen fined 239 dollars for speeding in Lamborghini organised by Warne - Dec 09, 2010
- Oz woman, 80, caught driving at 164km/hr - Jul 08, 2010
- Traffic officer in SA arrested for driving at 274km/h - Jul 07, 2010
- Match Stats: Men's Doubles Australian Open Final - Jan 28, 2012
- Match Stats: Men's Australian Open Final - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: average speed, breaking the rules, cars, infringement notice, lottery ticket, money reports, morning herald, motorists, pool, road safety, school zone, speed camera, speed limit, speed limits, stockholm, sweden, sydney morning herald, sydney nov, traffic camera, volkswagen