Spanish troops to start leaving Afghanistan in JanuaryDecember 7th, 2011 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 7 (IANS/EFE) Spain’s defense minister said Tuesday that the withdrawal of Spanish troops from Afghanistan will begin in January, once Afghan President Hamid Karzai decides his government’s forces can assume responsibility for security in the northwestern province of Badghis.
Carme Chacon made the announcement when asked about whether the attacks Tuesday in Afghanistan that cost the lives of over 50 people could modify the date for bringing Spanish troops home.
The bombings targeted Kabul and the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif.
The minister said that the transfer of authority to Afghanistan agreed by Karzai is good news for Spain.
Chacon confirmed that in January “the withdrawal of Spanish military forces will begin, just as we planned”.
Spain’s armed forces began serving with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, or ISAF, in Afghanistan in January 2002.
A total of 98 Spanish military personnel have now been killed since the mission in Afghanistan started, with 14 troops dying in insurgent attacks and 79 in air accidents.
All of the roughly 1,500 Spanish soldiers and police serving with ISAF will be withdrawn by the end of 2014, Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said in June.
The 2014 target for an end to ISAF operations was set by NATO members at a summit last October in Lisbon.
- Spain to begin troop withdrawals from Afghanistan in 2012 - Jun 24, 2011
- Afghanistan mission won't get easier as end nears: Spain - Jun 28, 2011
- Spanish troops to withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014 - Jun 25, 2011
- Spain to pull out from Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2012
- Spain to send 500 more troops to Afghanistan - Dec 18, 2009
- Spain to host elements of NATO anti-missile shield - Oct 06, 2011
- Spain mulls sending more troops to Afghanistan - Sep 05, 2009
- Spain to pull troops out of Libya by October end - Oct 26, 2011
- Spanish parliament votes to extend Libya operations - Apr 19, 2011
- Turkish military helicopter crashes in Kabul, killing 16 - Mar 18, 2012
- Spain's defence minister resigns to vie for premiership - May 27, 2011
- Spain to start pulling troops out of Afghanistan in 2012 - Nov 18, 2010
- Spain will stay in Afghanistan 'as long as necessary' - Sep 16, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, air accidents, carme, defense minister, hamid karzai, insurgent attacks, international security assistance, isaf, jose luis rodriguez, jose luis rodriguez zapatero, luis rodriguez, luis rodriguez zapatero, nato members, northwestern province, president hamid karzai, prime minister jose luis rodriguez zapatero, spanish soldiers, spanish troops, target