Spanish pilot saw white flash when French plane went missingJune 4th, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, June 4 (DPA) A pilot of the Spanish airline Air Comet covering the route between Lima and Madrid saw a white flash in the area where the Air France plane went missing, the daily El Mundo reported Thursday.
El Mundo quoted a report by the pilot to his airline.
Two pilots and a passenger who was in the galley of the plane “suddenly saw far away a strong and intense flash of white light” which plunged vertically downwards and disappeared in six seconds, the pilot wrote.
The pilot had also observed storms with electric activity and cloud formations near his route.
Air Comet confirmed the existence of the report to El Mundo, saying it had been passed on to the Spanish civil aviation authorities, Airbus and Air France.
The report re-launched the hypothesis of an explosion as the cause of the accident, though it was now deemed likelier that the pilot had lost control of the plane after serious turbulences led to equipment failures, El Mundo said.
There were 228 people on board from 32 countries, including 72 French, 60 Brazilians and 26 Germans.
- Search for plane and cause of Air France crash intensify (Lead) - Jun 05, 2009
- Air France AF447 - 15 minutes to death - Jun 05, 2009
- Pilot training blamed for 2009 Air France crash - Jul 29, 2011
- Air Namibia orders two Airbus A319s in $161 million deal - Feb 06, 2012
- Air France-KLM CEO Pierre-Henri Gourgeon resigns - Oct 18, 2011
- Al Qaeda planned to attack Gibraltar during Olympics - Aug 06, 2012
- Air France becomes first European airline to offer flights to Cambodia - Mar 31, 2011
- Body recovered from 2009 Air France flight - May 05, 2011
- Air France plane has 30 wing screws missing, Chinese mechanics being blamed - Nov 25, 2011
- Bodies found, no black box among 2009 Air France crash wreckage - Apr 05, 2011
- NTSB investigating wing clipping incident at New York's JFK airport - Apr 13, 2011
- Debris is from missing Air France jet - Jun 03, 2009
- Antonio Banderas to send own team for Qatar motor race - Apr 06, 2010
- Anti terrorist measures make plane toilets unsafe - Mar 17, 2011
- Spanish press hail Euro 2012 triumph - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: AF447, air comet, air france, airbus, airline, brazilians, civil aviation authorities, cloud formations, equipment failures, existence, explosion, galley, germans, hypothesis, intense flash, likelier, madrid, pilot, six seconds, storms