Spanish doctor kidnapped in Nigeria set freeApril 22nd, 2012 - 11:49 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 22 (IANS/EFE) Spanish physician Jose Manuel Machimbarrena, kidnapped in Nigeria April 4, has been freed and is in good health though “pretty tired”, officials at Spain’s foreign ministry said Saturday.
The 58-year-old doctor was set free Friday by his captors at an unidentified location, and is now back in the southern Nigerian city of Enugu where he has lived for many years.
The circumstances under which he was released and whether any ransom was paid have not yet been made clear.
In recent years, Enugu has suffered a growing number of abductions, mostly carried out to demand ransom money.
The problem became so serious in 2009 that the federal government enacted a law making kidnapping at gunpoint a crime punishable by death.
In a communique to the media Saturday, the Nigerian police said that Machimbarrena “looks well, healthy and happy”, and is currently back with the “hospital community” in Enugu.
The note also said that Nigerian security forces have stepped up “the search for the outlaws” who kidnapped him and whose identity is unknown.
Dr. Machimbarrena, director of clinical services at the Niger Foundation Hospital, an Opus Dei project, has lived in Nigeria since 1978.
- Spanish doctor kidnapped in Nigeria - Apr 12, 2012
- Kidnap victim freed after scrawling note on toilet paper - Oct 11, 2011
- Kidnapped soccer star Obodo released in Nigeria - Jun 11, 2012
- Argentine cops charged with kidnapping - Nov 19, 2010
- Girl rescued from kidnappers after three years - Feb 18, 2010
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
- Rebels free Meghalaya official after 34 days - Dec 24, 2011
- Guatemala arrests former top cop for killings - Mar 24, 2012
- Meghalaya rebels free traders, official untraced - Dec 02, 2011
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela - Apr 10, 2012
- Kidnapping victims held in Mexican jail - Oct 07, 2011
- Footballer-turned-gangster arrested in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- Nigerian held with six kg heroin - Apr 09, 2011
- Actress sent to jail for Green Card marriage - Apr 27, 2011
- Brazil actor seriously injured - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: abductions, april 4, circumstances, federal government, foreign ministry, foundation hospital, good health, gunpoint, jose manuel, madrid, niger, nigeria, nigerian city, nigerian police, nigerian security forces, opus dei, outlaws, ransom money, spain, spanish doctor