Spanish city’s residents battle it out with flowersMay 2nd, 2011 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
Cordoba (Spain), May 2 (IANS/EFE) The Spanish city of Cordoba staged its traditional “Battle of the Flowers” Sunday, with 8,000 “combatants” using 120,000 carnations as ammunition during the 40-minute engagement on Victoria avenue, one of the city’s main thoroughfares.
The May Day event featured 17 floats festooned with flowers, all part of an effort to help Cordoba’s bid to become the 2016 European Cultural Capital.
The event opened an entire month “full of cultural activities”, giving Cordoba a boost in its campaign to be Europe’s cultural capital five years from now, Environment Minister Rosa Aguilar said.
The May Day celebration also included different bands that accompanied the floats.
- Priest gunned down in Guatemala - Jan 28, 2012
- Spanish city to fine those who go naked in public - May 30, 2011
- Juanes begins Spanish tour - Jul 18, 2011
- New social networking website launched in Spain - Mar 03, 2011
- Julio Iglesias kicks off concert tour in Chile - Apr 08, 2012
- Plan to build electric motorcycles in Brazil - Aug 09, 2011
- Spanish government prods banks to modify mortgages - Mar 11, 2012
- Britney Spears to give free concert in Mexico City - Dec 01, 2011
- Gay parade held in Mexico - Jun 04, 2012
- Two shot dead in beauty parlour - Sep 28, 2011
- Brazil lights world's largest floating Christmas tree - Nov 28, 2011
- Number of Chinese studying in Spain rises - Dec 02, 2011
- Rock fest in Bogota - Jul 02, 2012
- Pepe Aguilar gets star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame - Jul 27, 2012
- Man gets 24 years for Colombian journalist's killing - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,