Spanish boat fights off pirates near SeychellesMarch 15th, 2010 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
Vitoria (Spain), March 15 (IANS/EFE) The security team aboard the Txori Argi, a Spanish fishing boat, have fought off a group of pirates who attacked the vessel off the Seychelles Islands, but no one was injured in the incident, the shipowner said.
The crew, made up of about 30 sailors and four security officers, Sunday spotted a mother ship and two skiffs carrying pirates about 80 miles from Mahe, the largest island in the Seychelles archipelago.
The pirates chased the fishing boat, prompting the security officers to open fire with their weapons, the shipowner told EFE.
The pirates got within less than a mile of the fishing boat, drawing a second round of warning shots from the security officers.
The pirates did not fire at the Txori Argi and left after the second round of warning shots were fired.
The crew is in good condition and plans to continue fishing for tuna, the shipowner said, adding that the Spanish military was notified of the incident.
Shipowners whose vessels operate in the Indian Ocean have been authorised to carry armed security officers aboard boats to deal with attacks by the numerous Somali pirates in the area.
Boats from Spain and other countries have been seized by Somali pirates.
The European Union has deployed naval vessels to provide security in the region, but protecting fishing boats is not part of the mandate.
- Spanish boat repels pirate attack - Nov 22, 2010
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Spanish fishing vessel - Oct 02, 2009
- German-owned vessel released from pirate control released - Apr 14, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Navy, coast guard ships sink pirate mother-vessel - Jan 29, 2011
- Indian Navy captures 28 Somali pirates near Lakshadweep islands - Feb 07, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- Tenth Somali pirate pleads guilty in pirate attack that left 4 Americans killed - May 27, 2011
- Somali pirates seize tanker with 28 North Korean crew - Nov 17, 2009
- Menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Jan 29, 2011
- Italian cruise ship adrift off Seychelles after fire - Feb 28, 2012
- Somali pirates release Taiwanese vessel after nearly a year - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: armed security, fishing boat, fishing boats, mahe, mandate, mother ship, naval vessels, sailors, security officers, security team, seychelles archipelago, seychelles islands, shipowner, shipowners, skiffs, somali pirates, spanish military, tuna, vitoria spain, warning shots