Spaniard Fernandez sets world record in 10 km walkJuly 28th, 2008 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, July 28 (Xinhua) Spanish walker Paquillo Fernandez gave himself the perfect send-off for the Olympic Games, when he smashed the world 10 kilometres race walk record. Racing in the Spanish Championships, held on the island of Tenerife, Sunday, Fernandez, a silver medallist at the Athens Olympics four years ago, took five seconds off the previous record, which had been held by the Italian Ivano Brugnetti, as he clocked 37:53:09 seconds for the event.
After the race Fernandez confessed he was amazed at the achievement.
“I am really surprised because all the elements were against me,” he told the official website of the Spanish Athletics Federation.
“Nevertheless my will to win was vital and I gave it everything. I went as fast as possible in the last 400 metres, even though I never knew I was in with a chance of setting a world record.
“After this race, it is obvious that I am in form and going to aim for a medal in Beijing, although I will find some very difficult rivals there. I am going to travel to Matsue (Japan) Aug 3 to finish my preparation and from there, I will go to Beijing,” said Fernandez, who is now considered a favourite for an Olympic gold.
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Bolt to take part in Bislett Games in June - Jan 12, 2012
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- World Champion Cheruiyot says will not rest on laurels in 2012 - Feb 09, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Cuban hurdler Robles wants nothing but gold at London - Feb 09, 2012
- Olympic dreams over, Kenyan racer targets Berlin Marathon - Jul 11, 2012
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
- China's Zheng tags herself 'lightweight tennis champion' - Jul 01, 2012
- Phelps wins 400m medley gold at Austin meet - Jan 15, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- Not bidding for 2020 Olympics was the right decision: Pietro Mennea - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: athens olympics, beijing, elements, ivano brugnetti, japan, kilometres, madrid, olympic games, olympic gold, olympics, paquillo fernandez, rivals, silver medallist, spaniard, tenerife, world record, xinhua