Spain to hand over Mubarak confidantOctober 11th, 2011 - 12:51 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Oct 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Spanish government is ready to extradite Egyptian tycoon Hussein Salem, a confidant of former president Hosni Mubarak.
Madrid had previously refused to hand over Salem, 83, citing his age.
Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, his sons Gamal and Alaa and Hussein Salem face trial in Cairo’s criminal court for money laundering and corruption. They face up to 25 years in prison.
Hussein Salem, who holds Egyptian and Spanish citizenship, and his family left Egypt in February after Mubarak resigned.
In September, Spain agreed to hand over Salem’s children Khaled and Magda, who were wanted on money laundering charges.
Egyptian court charges Salem with fraud and speculation relating to a gas deal with Israel and sale of land on the Red Sea.
Salem owns several hotels in Sharm El Sheikh, including the Movenpick Resort where Mubarak had lived before his arrest.
- Mubarak's trial to be held every day - Jan 03, 2012
- Mubarak to go on trial over protester shootings - May 25, 2011
- Mubarak to be transferred to Cairo for trial - Aug 03, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak's aide arrested in Spain - Jun 17, 2011
- Mubarak's wife hands over property to state - May 17, 2011
- Egypt extends detention of Mubarak's sons for 15 days - Apr 27, 2011
- Hosni Mubarak to be moved to prison hospital - Apr 25, 2011
- Mubarak's wife detained in corruption probe - May 14, 2011
- Mubarak verdict to be appealed against - Jun 03, 2012
- Ousted Egyptian President Mubarak to stand trial on August 3 - Jun 02, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian minister faces trial for corruption - Mar 05, 2011
- Hundreds of Mubarak supporters gather in Cairo - Apr 26, 2011
- Prosecutors quiz Mubarak, wife - May 12, 2011
Tags: alaa, confidant, court charges, criminal court, egyptian court, egyptian president hosni mubarak, face trial, former president, gamal, hosni mubarak, hotels in sharm, khaled, magda, money laundering charges, movenpick resort, president hosni mubarak, red sea, ria novosti, sharm el, spanish government