Spain had better quality, says German coach LoewJune 30th, 2008 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, June 30 (DPA) German coach Joachim Loew said his side were beaten by a better Spain team in Sunday’s Euro 2008 final. “I think we have to recognize the greater quality of the Spanish team today,” he said after the 0-1 defeat at Vienna’s Ernst Happel Stadium.
“Of course, we are disappointed to lose but despite this I have to compliment the team for what they have achieved over these past six weeks.
“I told the players they should not be despondent. We managed to get to the final and that’s something special. The Spanish had the better chances even if the goal did not have to be conceded the way it was.”
Loew, 48, has taken Germany to a first European final since they won the 1996 European Championships in England under Berti Vogts.
Germany under Rudi Voeller did reach the 2002 World Cup final when they lost 2-0 to Brazil.
Under Juergen Klinsmann and with Loew as assistant, the Germans reached the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup in Germany and eventually finished third.
“I had hopes right up the last seconds,” said Loew, who from the edge of the coaching zone had been urging his side forward in the last quarter of the game.
“We had one or two chances but at the end of the day we were not as forceful as we’ve been in the last few months.
“In the last two years we have have often played better football than we have at this tournament.
“For one or two players it could possibly have something to do with the pressure.
“We haven’t played to the high levels we are capable of. The Spanish were consistent in this tournament and played at a high level the whole time.”
Loew added he could not immediately analyse what went wrong.
“We will sit down in the next few days and look at it. Emotions are high directly after a game,” he said.
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Germans jittery but fully fit for Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- World Cup now "in our own hands", Germany's Loew says - Jul 04, 2010
- Loew stays on as Germany's coach until Euro 2012 - Jul 20, 2010
- Klinsmann hopes for World Cup with heart and pride - Jun 07, 2010
- Germany gunning for Spain even without Mueller - Jul 05, 2010
- Spain has World Cup final in its sights: Del Bosque - Jul 06, 2010
- German football boss wants Loew to stay coach after World Cup - Oct 11, 2009
- Klose quietly ready to reach his century - Jul 02, 2010
- Bierhoff: Loew decision after World Cup - Jul 10, 2010
- German football boss upbeat Loew will stay as coach - Jul 09, 2010
- Gerd Muller rated best footballer by German legend Paul Breitner - Nov 17, 2010
- Euro 2012: Italy were 'cleverer' than Germany, says Loew - Jun 29, 2012
- German coach thanks Mourinho for win - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: 2006 world cup in germany, berti vogts, compliment, dpa, emotions, ernst happel stadium, euro 2008, few days, german coach, germans, joachim loew, klinsmann, last quarter, rudi voeller, semi finals, six weeks, spanish team, vienna, whole time, world cup in germany