Spain detains two Colombians suspected of 200 killingsSeptember 14th, 2010 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Valencia (Spain), Sep 14 (DPA) Spanish police have captured two Colombian suspected hitmen wanted for involvement in more than 200 killings, police said Tuesday.
The suspects, who were also charged with abductions and torture, were described as the most dangerous Colombian nationals detained in Spain so far.
Henry Norberto Valdes alias Pollo, 36, and Mauricio Alberto Gonzalez alias Ronco, 44, were arrested in the region of the eastern city of Valencia. Both were believed to be professional killers in the service of drug cartels claiming debts with violent methods.
Valdes was thought to have been the logistical head of La Negra, a group of hitmen linked with Colombia’s Norte del Valle drug cartel.
La Negra operated in eight countries and killed at least 200 people in Colombia alone, according to Spanish police sources. Its victims included Colombian footballer Albeiro Usuriaga, who was gunned down in 2004, as well as intelligence and police officers, the sources said.
Gonzalez was suspected of links with Colombia’s Envigado drug ring. He had earlier belonged to the paramilitary organization United Self-Defence Forces of Colombia (AUC), now officially dissolved, police said.
Gonzalez and Valdes were believed to have settled in Spain to continue their criminal activities there. Gonzalez had married a Spanish citizen in order to obtain a residence permit, police said.
The arrests were made in cooperation with Colombian police. The two suspects were expected to be extradited to the Latin American country.
After the AUC was dismantled, several of its former members who had links with drug cartels fled to European countries, the sources said.
- Hitmen accused of 200 murders held in Spain - Sep 15, 2010
- Drug lord described as `murderer of murderers' killed - Dec 30, 2010
- Spain arrests 34 as global drug ring dismantled - May 05, 2011
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- Rapper killed in Colombia - Apr 26, 2012
- Colombian police capture key man in drug cartel linked to Mexico and the U.S. - Jan 14, 2011
- Juanes begins Spanish tour - Jul 18, 2011
- Colombian drug trafficker nabbed at father-in-law's funeral - Apr 08, 2009
- Colombian prosecutor gets 15 years for drug links - Mar 11, 2011
- Eight killed in Colombia shooting - Jul 03, 2010
- World Cup replica filled with cocaine seized - Jul 04, 2010
- Goa's drug trade could have Colombian links: CBI - Sep 09, 2011
- Ten FARC members killed in army operation in southwestern Colombia - Mar 25, 2011
- Spain busts gang that ripped off drug dealers - May 11, 2012
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: abductions, alberto gonzalez, auc, city of valencia, colombian police, colombians, defence forces, drug cartels, envigado, hitmen, latin american country, norte del valle, norte del valle drug cartel, paramilitary organization, police sources, professional killers, spanish citizen, spanish police, valencia spain, violent methods