Spain beat Greece 2-1 in Euro 2008 matchJune 19th, 2008 - 6:03 am ICT by IANS
Salzburg (Austria), June 19 (DPA) A goal two minutes from time by Daniel Guiza gave Spain a 2-1 win over Greece in Salzburg Wednesday to ensure Luis Aragones’ side finish top of Group D with a 100-percent record while the defending champions go home without a point. Angelo Charisteas headed home a Giorgos Karagounis free kick on 42 minutes to register Greece’s first goal of the tournament but Ruben de la Red equalized for Spain after 61 minutes, beating Antonis Nikopolidis from close range with a fierce shot.
The game looked to be heading for a draw until Guiza’s late header sealed the Spanish win.
With one eye Sunday’s Euro 2008 quarter-final clash with Italy, Aragones made 10 changes from the side that beat Sweden while Otto Rehhagel made Nikopolidis captain on the goalkeeper’s 90th and final appearance for Greece, winners of the tournament in 2004.
- King Otto needs World Cup results from Greece (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- Spanish reserves turn tables on Greece (Lead) - Jun 19, 2008
- South Korea beat Greece in Group B opener (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- King Otto reigns with Greece (Team Profile) - Nov 25, 2009
- Greece overcomes Nigeria for first World Cup win (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Greek veteran Karagounis joins Fulham - Sep 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Greek grit secures win, knocks out Russia - Jun 17, 2012
- Greece victimized by referees at Euro 2012: Karagounis - Jun 17, 2012
- Greece coach keeps football World Cup dream alive - Nov 16, 2009
- Europa League: Atletico Madrid qualifies for knock-out stages - Dec 16, 2011
- Greece announces Euro 2012 squad - May 30, 2012
- Defending champions knocked out after Russian defeat (Lead) - Jun 15, 2008
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Greece vs South Korea is clash of giant-killers - Jun 11, 2010
- Euro 2012: Spain coach Del Bosque rejects past glories - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: appearance, clash, close range, dpa, euro 2008, free kick, game, giorgos karagounis, goalkeeper, greece, guiza, italy, luis aragones, match, nikopolidis, otto rehhagel, salzburg austria, spain, sweden, two minutes