Space shuttle Discovery arrives at space stationJune 3rd, 2008 - 5:28 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 3 (DPA) Space shuttle Discovery docked Monday at the International Space Station after the day-and-half journey from Earth, carrying an enormous Japanese-made research module and a small Russian-made pump for a malfunctioning lavatory. “Capture confirmed,” said a Discovery crew member to Earth control officials.
At the time of docking at 1803 GMT, the station was orbiting over the South Pacific, 350 km above Earth’s surface.
The seven-member crew included Japanese astronaut Akihiko Hoshide, who will help install the largest part of Japan’s Kibo - or “hope” - capsule during two of three spacewalks planned for the 14-day mission.
Also on board Discovery is new station crew member Greg Chamitoff, who will replace returning flight engineer Garrett Reisman, who will end a three- month stay aboard the outpost when Discovery undocks on June 11.
The first space walk is slated for 1532 Tuesday.
The three-person crew already at the space station is urgently awaiting a pump and other spare parts to fix the only toilet on the space station. A temporary fix for the astronauts is very uncomfortable, according to NASA.
The mission marks a halfway point to mothballing the US shuttle programme since the 2003 Columbia disaster, with only 10 flights left before NASA closes down the aircraft.
- Discovery's last mission extended by a day - Mar 04, 2011
- Astronauts use toothbrush to fix space station - Sep 06, 2012
- Sunita Williams takes fifth spacewalk (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Sunita Williams sets a record with sixth spacewalk (Second lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 06, 2012
- ISS astronauts take second spacewalk - Sep 06, 2012
- Space shuttle Discovery set to return to Earth for final time - Mar 08, 2011
- Sunita Williams completes spacewalk outside ISS - Aug 31, 2012
- Atlantis docks with space station one last time - Jul 10, 2011
- Sunita Williams takes off on her second space odyssey - Jul 15, 2012
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour prepares to leave space station, return to Earth - May 29, 2011
- Sunita Williams heading back to space again - Jun 23, 2012
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour docks with International Space Station - May 19, 2011
- NASA astronauts challenge public to 'Earth vs. space chess match' - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: astronauts, board discovery, columbia disaster, control officials, crew member, discovery crew, earth control, flight engineer, halfway point, international space station, japanese astronaut, kibo, lavatory, member crew, person crew, reisman, space shuttle discovery, space walk, spacewalks, station crew