Soviet space capsule sells for $2.9 mnApril 13th, 2011 - 12:27 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 13 (IANS) A Soviet space capsule that orbited the Earth 50 years ago sold for about $2.9 million at Sotheby’s in New York.
The spherical Vostok 3KA-2 Space Capsule was sold at an auction dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the first human space flight, Xinhua reported.
The spacecraft with a life-sized human dummy and a dog, named Zvezdochka (”small star” in Russian), made a successful orbit of the Earth in about two hours March 25, 1961, before re-entering the atmosphere.
The mission was the final test before Russian astronaut Yuri Gagarin’s historic flight on April 12, 1961.
The buyer of the space capsule was Russian businessman Evgeny Yurchenko who hoped Vostok would “take its rightful place in one of the national museums devoted to the history of the formation of the Russian space programme”.
- Soviet era space capsule sold for nearly 3 m dollars in New York - Apr 13, 2011
- Sotheby's sells pre-Gagarin spacecraft for $2.8 million - Apr 13, 2011
- US marks 50 years since putting first American in orbit - Feb 21, 2012
- UN celebrates World Space Week - Oct 08, 2011
- Russia launches cosmonaut recruitment drive - Jan 27, 2012
- UN declares April 12 as International Day of Space Flight - Apr 08, 2011
- Yuri Gagarin's historic space flight recreated in movie - Mar 24, 2011
- Russian cosmonaut to speak on 50 years of human space flight - Jun 03, 2011
- Gagarin event ends with fireworks display in Moscow - Apr 13, 2011
- ISS crew to launch mini-satellite Aug 3 - Jul 22, 2011
- Soviet Union lied about Gagarin space mission: Book - Apr 01, 2011
- 'Soviet officials lied about Yuri Gagarin's historic space mission in bid for world record title' - Mar 31, 2011
- New crew head for space from same launch pad used by Yuri Gagarin - Apr 05, 2011
- Russia launches manned spacecraft - Apr 05, 2011
- Russian spacecraft docks with ISS - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: 50th anniversary, astronaut, atmosphere, auction, dummy, final test, human space flight, march 25, national museums, orbit, russian businessman, russian space, sotheby s, soviet space, space capsule, spacecraft, vostok, xinhua, yurchenko, yuri gagarin