Souza, Mehta top Christie’s Indian modern art saleJune 12th, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 12 (IANS) Works of Francis Newton Souza and Tyeb Mehta were the highlights of the Christie’s sale of contemporary Indian art here, which also included works from Tina Ambani’s Mumbai-based Harmony Art Foundation. Souza’s 1955 work “Birth” sold for 1,273,250 pounds ($2.5 million) as against an estimate of 600,000-800,000 pounds while Mehta’s 1984 untitled (Figure on Rickshaw) went for 982,050 pounds as against an estimate of 300,000-500,000 pounds.
Five of Subodh Gupta’s works were sold at Wednesday’s sale. His 2007 untitled work went for 601,250 pounds. His “Bucket” was sold for 121,250, “Magic Wands” for 169,250 pounds and “Cotton Wicks for 15,000 pounds.
T.V. Santosh’s two works were also interestingly rated. While an untitled went for 145,250 pounds, his “Peace Protest” went for an appreciable 20,000 pounds. A further key work was Rameshwar Broota’s 1980 “Havaldar-III”, which sold for 337,250 pounds.
Other strong modern works at the sale included Maqbool Fida Husain’s 1970 untitled work and 1969 “Gandhi - Man of Peace”. However, five out of the nine Husains went unsold or were withdrawn. Addressing another aspect of contemporary society, Ravinder Reddy’s sculpture “Head” also did not find a buyer.
Syed Haider Raza’s 1965-1966 “Rajput House” sold for 97,250 pounds. Riyas Komu’s “Dog in the Bush” went for 22,500 pounds.
The sale of 112 lots, of which a few were withdrawn or left unsold, was expected to realise in the excess of 3.7 million pounds but garnered 5.4 million pounds, including the buyer’s premium.
- 12 rare Tagore art works auctioned in London - Jun 15, 2010
- Souza's archival works yield windfall for Christie's - Jun 10, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Souza lead auction stakes at Christie's - May 26, 2011
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Christie's unveils art works for Sep 15 sale (With Image) - Aug 13, 2010
- Tagore art works fetch 1.6 bn pounds at Sotheby's auction (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
- Exposure makes Indian art prices gallop in global mart - Jun 28, 2008
- Tyeb Mehta work sells for $2.1 mn at Christie's South Asian auction - Jun 12, 2012
- Husain, Raza highlights of Sotheby's Asian art sale - May 18, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta's work sets new price record at Christie's - Jun 10, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta's 'falling figure' to lead Christie's fall sale (With Image) - Aug 15, 2012
- Spotlight on M.F. Husain, price consciousness (Art Fair Review) - Jan 30, 2012
- Arpita Singh sets record as art mart booms again - Dec 11, 2010
Tags: art foundation, christie, contemporary indian art, contemporary society, cotton wicks, fida, francis newton souza, gandhi man, haider, magic wands, man of peace, modern art, rajput, raza, rickshaw, santosh, subodh gupta, tina ambtyeb mehta, untitled work