South Korea, US launch joint military exerciseFebruary 27th, 2012 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Feb 27 (IANS) South Korean and US forces launched their annual military exercise Monday despite a warning by North Korea that it is “ready to fight a war”.
Exercise “Key Resolve” Feb 27-March 9 brings together 200,000 South Korean forces and 2,100 US troops for drills based on various scenarios of assumed threats to the defense of South Korea, reported Xinhua.
North Korea, which remains technically at war with South Korea after the 1950-53 civil conflict ended with a truce, has routinely denounced the drills by the allies as preparation for a northward invasion.
“The army and people (North Korea) are fully ready to fight a war with them,” Pyongyang’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said Monday.
“The warmongers will meet destruction in the fire kindled by them if they go reckless misjudging the strong will of the Koreans to defend peace.”
The South Korea-US Combined Forces Command (CFC) said the drills are “routine and defense-oriented”.
- Pyongyang condemns South Korea-US military drill - Aug 19, 2012
- Kim Jong-un inspects artillery unit before South Korea-US drill - Aug 18, 2012
- S. Korea hold new massive army, air force drills in show of force against N. Korea - Dec 23, 2010
- North Korea threatens war over US-South Korea drills - Feb 25, 2012
- S.Korea says will continue live-fire drill off coast next week - Dec 12, 2010
- U.S.-Korean joint military drill announced during Antony's Seoul visit - Sep 03, 2010
- North Korea says South's "childish play with fire not worth responding to" - Dec 21, 2010
- S. Korean Defence Minister blames N. Korea for jamming GPS signals - Mar 10, 2011
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
- North Korea vows n-buildup ahead of US-South Korea war games - Mar 07, 2010
- US, South Korea hold military drill - Jun 22, 2012
- S. Korea starts naval firing drills amid rising tension with North - Dec 06, 2010
- US to North Korea, don't mess with South - Jul 29, 2010
- US, South Korea war games Tuesday - Aug 16, 2011
- North Korea fires artillery shells near maritime border - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: allies, army, central news agency, cfc, civil conflict, invasion, korean central news, korean central news agency, koreans, military exercise, north korea, pyongyang, resolve, scenarios, seoul, south korea, south korean forces, truce, warmongers, xinhua