South Korea doubts North’s claim on Kim’s healthNovember 3rd, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 3 (RIA Novosti) The South Korean government said Monday that the latest photos of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il released by Pyongyang do not prove he is in good health. North Korean state media released several images over the weekend showing the “Dear Leader” purportedly attending a football match between two army teams, in an apparent attempt to quell speculation that he is in a critical state of health.
“It is difficult to know Chairman Kim’s health condition merely with still photos,” Unification Ministry spokesman Kim Ho-Nyoun told reporters.
The South Korean and US intelligence agencies have said Kim, 66, may have suffered a stroke in August. Japanese media reports last month said a French brain surgeon travelled to the secretive communist state to operate on him.
In one of the photographs, Kim is shown sitting on a white sofa, wearing his trademark sunglasses, with his deputies sitting nearby, and autumn trees in the background.
Several of the images show a football match taking place, but none of them show the leader and the footballers together.
In October, North Korea showed photographs on state television of the leader inspecting a women’s military unit. However, South Korean experts said the photos had clearly been taken several months ago, casting further doubt over Kim’s health.
Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso said last week that the North Korean leader is probably in hospital, but in good health to maintain control over the country.
Japanese North Korea expert Toshimitsu Shigemura, who earlier claimed that Kim died back in 2003 of diabetes and that doubles of the dictator have been appearing at public events ever since, has since said: “If he was dead, the North Koreans would have sealed the borders and would not let anyone in or out.”
Kim Jong-il has ruled North Korea since 1994, when he succeeded his late father Kim Il-sung, the communist state’s founder.
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- Has Kim Jong-un undergone plastic surgery to resemble grandpa? - Oct 05, 2010
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korea's heir apparent undergoes plastic surgery - Oct 05, 2010
- South Koreans send anti-regime leaflets to North in balloons - Dec 22, 2011
- Kim Jong-il unanimously reappointed North Korean leader - Sep 28, 2010
- Kim's death: US in touch with South Korea - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-il to be embalmed - Jan 12, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- 'Kim Jong-il's death was extensive intelligence failure' - Dec 20, 2011
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- North Korea marks army's 80th anniversary - Apr 25, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies of heart attack - Dec 19, 2011