South Korea beat Pakistan to lift Asia Cup hockey titleMay 16th, 2009 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kuantan (Malaysia), May 16 (IANS) South Korea won their third Asia Cup hockey title after edging past Pakistan 1-0 in a tough title-clash here Saturday.
Drag flick specialist Kim Byung-hoon scored the winner in the 65th minute and finished as tournament’s top scorer with six goals.
Korea now holds both the Asian Games and the Asia Cup titles and also secured a place at the 2010 World Cup in India.
Korea also matched Pakistan’s three Asia Cup titles. Their previous two titles came in 1994 and 1999.
Pakistan had their chances but lost three penalty corner opportunities.
World’s top goal scorer Sohail Abbas, who was recalled for the tournament, failed to convert any of the three short corners.
Korea’s coach Cho Myung-ju, who made a winning debut, said they were expecting a close match.
“The win will help us to achieve further success in the coming year.”
- Azlan Shah Cup: India beat Pakistan to keep faint hope (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India to face South Korea for fifth place - May 14, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Pakistan beat India 3-1 - May 11, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- India to take on Pakistan in high-voltage Asiad hockey clash - Nov 19, 2010
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Veteran Zeeshan Ashraf left out of Pakistan hockey squad - May 21, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: India beat Pakistan, reach semi-finals (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- India beat South Korea 5-3 in Asian Champions hockey - Sep 06, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
- India eves in final of junior Asia Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Junior Asia Cup: India play 2-2 draw with Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012