South Korea agrees for talks with North Korea

April 19th, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS  

Seoul, April 19 (Xinhua) The South Korean government Sunday said that it has decided to accept Pyongyang’s offer for holding inter-Korean talks next week.
It will be the first governmental talks between South Korea and North Korea since South Korean President Lee Myung-bak took office in February last year.

The talks suggestion comes amid mounting tensions following North Korea’s rocket launch earlier this month. North Korea said the launch was to place a communications satellite in space while the US, Japan and South Korea viewed it as a front for testing ballistic missile technology.

North Korea last week offered to hold talks with South Korean officials Tuesday in North Korea’s border city of Kaesong.

North Korea delivered the suggestion to the South Korean authorities through a message Friday.

Pyongyang said they will inform “significant issues” to South Korea at the talks, but didn’t explain further.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |