South America debates regional energy securityMay 10th, 2008 - 12:04 am ICT by admin
Caracas, May 9 (Prensa Latina) The 12-member Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) has announced the formation of an energy council for better integration of the region to ensure energy security. Representatives of the UNASUR states met Thursday in the Venezuelan capital and discussed aspects of the regional energy strategy as part of the arrangements for the bloc’s upcoming summit in Brazil.
Representatives from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador, Guyana and Uruguay, as well as delegates from Surinam, Peru and Paraguay attended the meeting.
The representatives analysed a draft of guidelines for the South American Energy Action Plan and those of the energy treaty of the region.
The issue becomes important faced with the sustainable rise of hydrocarbons, with values surpassing $120 per barrel and strongly hitting economies of nations importing crude oil.
The Margarita declaration was inked in April last year by UNASUR statesmen, and this paved the way to agree the Energy Council of South America, made up of energy ministers from each country.
Analysts consider this event a previous step to the bloc’s top meeting to be held May 23 in Brasilia.
- Unasur summit to open in Argentina Tuesday - May 03, 2010
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- Ecuador takes over UNASUR presidency - Aug 11, 2009
- Interpol seizes fake goods worth $200 mn in South America - Feb 01, 2011
- Paraguayan president's ouster is not coup: US - Jun 26, 2012
- India must consolidate engagement with CELAC (Comment) - Aug 17, 2012
- Don Omar to compose song for Jennifer Lopez's TV show - Feb 14, 2012
- 'Latin America, Caribbean and India should build closer ties' - Jul 18, 2012
- Bolivia to set up 12,000 new libraries - Jun 04, 2012
- Argentina tackle crucial match as they look over abyss - Oct 09, 2009
- Jennifer Lopez to host Latin American talent search - Jun 02, 2011
- Explore opportunities in Latin America: Scindia - Apr 29, 2010
- Ecuador may export electricity to Colombia, Venezuela - Feb 19, 2010
- Indian conquers the Andes in Latin America (With Image) - Mar 27, 2012
- South American leaders launch new alliance Unasur - May 24, 2008
Tags: bloc, caracas, crude oil, debates, delegates, energy action, energy council, energy ministers, energy security, energy strategy, guyana, hydrocarbons, prensa latina, regional energy, security representatives, south america, statesmen, surinam, unasur, venezuelan capital