South Africa’s ANC calls for Mbeki to resignSeptember 20th, 2008 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, Sep 20 (DPA) South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) called on President Thabo Mbeki Saturday to resign over evidence of political interference in a case against ANC leader Jacob Zuma.The ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe told reporters the party’s national executive committee (NEC) had “decided to recall the president of the republic before his term of office expires”.
Mbeki has yet to indicate whether he is ready to accede to their demand.
The NEC made the announcement after several hours of talks behind closed door on the president’s fate.
Mantashe said Mbeki had “welcomed the news and agreed that he is going to participate in the process and the formalities” which would move to parliament.
He also stressed that Mbeki would remain president until a new leader was found.
Zuma is the ANC’s candidate to lead the party into elections next year.
The move against Mbeki comes after a high court judge last week, in dismissing corruption charges against Zuma, said there was evidence of political interference in the investigation and implied Mbeki had a hand.
Zuma and Mbeki are arch-foes. Zuma ousted Mbeki as ANC leader in December, 2007.
- Sanef shocked by Zuma's $731K lawsuit over 'rape' cartoon - Dec 15, 2010
- South Africa's ANC slams trend of eating 'sushi off semi-nude model' - Feb 01, 2011
- South Africa's president to step down - Sep 21, 2008
- Dlamini-Zuma: AU's first woman boss wears victory lightly (Profile) - Jul 16, 2012
- Mbeki formally resigns, denies role in Zuma prosecution - Sep 22, 2008
- South Africa outraged over Mandela autopsy painting - Jul 10, 2010
- Zuma's ANC wins fourth straight term with reduced majority (Lead) - Apr 26, 2009
- Graft charges against South African leader Jacob Zuma lifted - Apr 06, 2009
- ANC wins South Africa elections but misses two-thirds majority - Apr 25, 2009
- Eleven South African cabinet ministers quit - Sep 23, 2008
- South African Communist Party turns 90 - Aug 02, 2011
- S. Africa's Zuma slaps down nationalist ANC youth wing - Sep 20, 2010
- Race for AU's top job moves into overdrive - Jul 13, 2012
- Motlanthe replaces Mbeki as South African president - Sep 25, 2008
- Motlanthe elected South Africa's caretaker president (Lead) - Sep 25, 2008