South Africans being urged to save electricityAugust 6th, 2012 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Cape Town, Aug 6 (IANS) At a time when the country is faced with an increased pressure of electricity shortage, a massive public awareness drive has been launched in South Africa, Xinhua reported.
The campaign aims to encourage South Africans to cut electricity usage by at least 10 percent.
According to authorities, with the participation of local celebrities to drive the campaign’s messages at road shows in the country’s nine provinces, the 49M campaign seeks to encourage 49 million South Africans to save electricity, according to the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS).
Jointly organised by the public electricity facility Eskom and the Department of Public Enterprise, the campaign is taking place amid signs that a load shedding could happen like in 2008 when massive blackouts gripped large parts of the country, if households did not change their behaviour in electricity consumption.
“The risk for load shedding is very low, in fact I have said load shedding is not in my vocabulary but if we don’t save energy as we should anything is possible and we don’t want to go there,” Eskom Board Chairperson Zola Tsotsi said in remarks published by the local media SAnews.
“I say that we must as South Africans all get involved in energy savings and the way to do that is by using electricity properly as residents and as businesses,” Tsotsi said.
Organisers, through this campaign, want to deliver a message that electricity wastage was not only putting severe pressure on the national grid but was also leading to job losses and increased poverty.
- South Africans asked to save power for FIFA event - Jun 16, 2010
- Chile blackout impacts nine mn people - Sep 25, 2011
- 'Inability to handle peak-time power loads hit us hard' - Jul 31, 2012
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- China can learn from India's blackout, says daily - Aug 02, 2012
- Japan considers limiting electricity use by major firms to overcome shortage - Mar 30, 2011
- South Africa to build big nuclear plant - May 30, 2012
- Indian firm could help South African power supplier cut losses - Jul 02, 2009
- Power will return by 7-7:30 p.m.: Power Grid - Jul 31, 2012
- Husband plotted Indian woman's murder with text messages - Jul 12, 2011
- Soccer power: Kicking malaria out of Africa - Jul 30, 2012
- Campaign to promote fluorescent lamps - Jul 07, 2011
- Pay market price of power, Omar tells grumbling people - Jun 21, 2012
- AIRE mask turns breath into electricity - Mar 01, 2012
- Greenpeace urges Apple to use clean energy - May 09, 2012
Tags: blackouts, board chairperson, cape town, electricity consumption, electricity shortage, electricity usage, energy savings, eskom, government communication, local media, national grid, public awareness, public electricity, public enterprise, south africans, tsotsi, using electricity, wastage, xinhua, zola