South Africa expects more trade cooperation with IndiaMarch 19th, 2012 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, March 19 (IANS) South Africa and India should seize opportunities presented by the global economy to promote their trade development, a South African official said Monday.
The remarks were made by Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry Elizabeth Thabethe ahead of the 2012 BRICS summit to be held in India later this month, reported Xinhua.
“The trade between South Africa and India has received a lot of attention in recent years. The rationale for this is rooted in the enhancement of South-South economic integration and cooperation.
“The broadening of economic space through larger consumer markets gives developing countries such as South Africa and India the opportunity to develop economies of scale, increase their competitiveness and become global competitors,” Thabethe said.
She added that the South African government is striving to enhance economic growth that will lead to an increase in the creation of decent, sustainable jobs, advance the fight against poverty and accelerate economic transformation.
“South Africa and India have already agreed to increase their cooperation in energy, technology, trade and investment. This represents a significant step forward in strengthening our efforts to promote long term, sustainable economic growth,” Thabethe said.
It also provides for diversification beyond our traditional strengths in commodities and non-tradable services, she said.
“Our task as government is to ensure the necessary enabling environment is in place for business between our two countries to thrive. We are doing this through numerous programs, such as the investment and trade initiative which will lead to an enhancement of our close political and economic relationships,” the minister said.
According to South African government reports, bilateral trade between South Africa and India topped $11 billion in 2011.
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS will offer huge opportunities for South Africa: Zuma - Apr 12, 2011
- South Africa keen to have Indian investments - Aug 22, 2012
- India invited to make huge investments in Africa: Mozambique - Mar 28, 2011
- `BRICS investment in South Africa mining sector to grow' - Jul 14, 2012
- Africa and BRICS: A rising engagement - Jun 26, 2011
- BRICS countries continue to enjoy strong, sustained economic growth - Apr 14, 2011
- 'Women have a major role in global economy' - Mar 23, 2012
- South Africa explores India's small business success - Aug 20, 2012
- BRICS targets $500 bn intra-group trade by 2015 - Mar 28, 2012
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
- India to maintain transparency in lines of credit to Africa - Nov 22, 2011
- India mulling free trade pacts with African countries - May 15, 2012
- BRICS urged to develop small, medium enterprises - Jul 11, 2012
- Highlights of 4th BRICS Summit - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: bilateral trade, brics, consumer markets, deputy minister, diversification, economic integration, economic relationships, economic space, economic transformation, economies of scale, energy technology, global competitors, global economy, south african government, sustainable economic growth, technology trade, trade cooperation, trade initiative, traditional strengths, xinhua