Sony’s net profit down 72 percent in second quarterOctober 29th, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Oct 29 (DPA) Sony Corp. saw its net profit plunge 71.8 percent in the second quarter as demand for consumer electronics slowed and the yen’s value rose against other major currencies, the company said Wednesday.The Japanese electronics company reported a net profit of 20.8 billion yen ($219.84 million) in the July-September quarter, compared to the second quarter profit of 73.7 billion yen last year.
Operating profit also tumbled 90.1 percent to 11 billion from 111.6 billion yen during the second quarter a year earlier, and sales dipped 0.5 percent to 2.07 trillion yen from 2.08 trillion yen, the company said.
For the first half of the business year, which starts in April, Sony saw its net profit tumble 60.2 percent year-on-year to 55.79 billion yen.
Operating profit also dropped 63.7 percent to 84.49 billion yen in the first six months, and sales slipped 0.2 percent to 4.05 trillion yen.
Last week, the company announced a downward revision of its full year earnings forecast with an expected net profit of 150 billion yen, operating profits of 200 billion yen and sales of 9.2 trillion yen.
- Honda Motor quarterly net profit surges - Jul 31, 2012
- Sony announces $3.1 billion annual loss - May 27, 2011
- Honda Japan's nine-month net profit plummets 71 percent - Jan 31, 2012
- Samsung Electronics posts $5 bn operating profit - Apr 27, 2012
- Samsung Electronics' operating profit grows 13 percent in Q3 - Oct 28, 2011
- Samsung Electronics posts operating profit - Jul 27, 2012
- LG Electronics posts operating profit - Jul 25, 2012
- Samsung Electronics expects record operating profit - Jul 06, 2012
- Suzuki profits up for full year - May 10, 2010
- Hyundai Motor posts operating profit - Jul 26, 2012
- POSCO's operating profit drops in Q1 - Apr 20, 2012
- LG Electronics' earnings turns into red in Q3 - Oct 26, 2011
- LG Electronics posts $394 mn operating profit - Apr 25, 2012
- Honda's operating profit falls 56 percent - Oct 27, 2009
- Sony's net profit down 94.8 percent in October-December period - Jan 29, 2009