Some countries are provoking China: dailyAugust 1st, 2012 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 1 (IANS) Neighbouring countries with territorial disputes were trying to infringe upon China’s sovereignty, a commentary in a Chinese newspaper said Wednesday.
These countries “are taking advantage of the US strategy of accelerated ‘return to the Asia-Pacific’ to create trouble with China”, it said without naming any country.
Xu Hui and Meng Fanli said that under the garb of maintaining regional stability, the US had increased pressure on China by rearranging its forces deployed abroad, holding joint military exercises with its allies, as well as supplying weapons to regional countries.
As a result, China faces numerous internal and external problems which threaten to end three decades of peace and development momentum in Asia, the commentary said.
Xu is a professor and Meng a lecturer at the National Defence University of the People’s Liberation Army.
“Some countries in the region wrongly assume that a stronger China, thanks to its fast economic development, will try to establish its hegemony,” the commentary said.
“They not only doubt China’s commitment to peaceful development, but also see China’s development through the tinted glasses of the Cold War.”
It added: “In recent years, some countries have voiced concern over China’s normal military buildup and used it as a pretext to doubt Beijing’s commitment to peaceful development.
“They argue that the military buildup will cause it to abandon its previous commitments to resolve disputes with neighbours through peaceful means.
“Such arguments are made either with ulterior motives or to misinterpret China’s history, culture and national defense policy.”
- India taking tough line against China: analyst - Apr 10, 2012
- `Chinese military diplomacy to reduce India's concerns' - Sep 04, 2012
- Chinese military stresses peaceful aims, closer US ties - Oct 27, 2009
- `China doesn't want carrier competition with India' - Aug 30, 2012
- China seeks explanation from US on its Asia policy - Sep 03, 2012
- High expectations from Chinese minister's India trip: Daily - Sep 05, 2012
- 'US-led war games detrimental to Asia-Pacific stability' - Aug 05, 2012
- China seeks peaceful solution to differences with neighbours (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- China questions US-Philippines drills - Jan 23, 2012
- China dismisses Pentagon report on military - Aug 27, 2011
- China seeks peace with neighbours (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- China should show kindness to neighbours: Daily - Apr 10, 2012
- Be prepared for combat: Chinese general - Sep 14, 2012
- China, N. Korea vow to maintain strong bilateral ties amid US-ROK military drill concerns - Feb 16, 2011
- China to focus on peaceful development, never seek hegemony: Wen - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: asia pacific, china daily, garb, hegemony, history culture, lecturer, liberation army, meng, military buildup, military exercises, national defence, neighbouring countries, peaceful development, pretext, regional countries, regional stability, sovereignty, territorial disputes, three decades, ulterior motives