Somali security minister killed: ReportJune 18th, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, June 18 (DPA) Somalia’s Security Minister Omar Hashi has been killed in a suicide bomb attack, Al-Arabiya TV reported Thursday.
No further details were immediately available.
The country - widely regarded as a failed state since the early 1990s - has seen violent clashes in the capital, Mogadishu, forcing the displacement of tens of thousands of residents.
On Wednesday, at least 20 people died during fighting between Islamist insurgents and government forces, including a dozen leaving evening prayers.
A stray shell destroyed a mosque in the north of the city, following heavy clashes in north and south Mogadishu, where insurgent groups al-Shabaab and Hizbul Islam are trying to oust President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed.
Mogadishu’s police chief, Colonel Ali Saed, was amongst those killed Wednesday as government forces attempted to dislodge the insurgents, who gained territory when they began a major offensive in early May.
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Somali Islamists storm broadcaster - Sep 20, 2010
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- Senior Al Qaeda man killed in Somalia - Feb 10, 2010
- Three ministers among 11 killed in Somalia blast (Lead) - Dec 03, 2009
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Seven, including three ministers, killed in Somalia blast - Dec 03, 2009
- Somali premier resigns amid spat with president - Sep 21, 2010
- Somali insurgents back Al Qaeda, clashes claim 16 lives - Feb 01, 2010
- Somali insurgents vow revenge against US for Al Qaeda raid - Sep 15, 2009
- Somali government declares state of emergency - Jun 23, 2009
Tags: al arabiya, al arabiya tv, capital mogadishu, colonel, displacement, dpa, early 1990s, government forces, hashi, insurgent groups, insurgents, mosque, police chief, saed, security minister, sheikh ahmed, somali, south mogadishu, suicide bomb attack, violent clashes