Somali president escapes roadside bomb attackJune 18th, 2008 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, June 18 (DPA) A roadside bomb killed three policemen, one of them a senior officer, in Mogadishu Wednesday just minutes after a convoy carrying Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed had driven past. The bomb went off near Al-Mathal school in southern Mogadishu, as an armoured vehicle went past on patrol, instantly killing the head of police in west Mogadishu, officials told DPA.
“The commander died in the blast and two other policemen died in the hospital,” a government official who requested anonymity, said.
Yusuf has been targeted several times in recent months, including by a mortar attack on his plane as he flew to Djibouti to meet with UN officials to push for a peace deal.
Witnesses said following the attack police raided the nearby school, wounding a student, torturing a security guard and setting fire to a warehouse.
Somalia and some opposition figures, earlier this month, agreed a ceasefire, but Islamic insurgents battling the transitional government have rejected the deal.
Violence has continued unabated and fighting in Mogadishu Tuesday killed at least seven people.
The Horn of Africa nation has been in a state of anarchy since the overthrow of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.
Fighting intensified after transitional federal government troops and their Ethiopian allies wrested control of the capital Mogadishu from the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC).
The UIC brought relative order during its six months in control in 2006.
Al-Shabaab, the UIC’s armed wing, has been waging a guerrilla war ever since and hundreds of thousands have fled the vicious fighting in Mogadishu to live in makeshift camps.
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- Ethiopia begins Somalia withdrawal - Jan 03, 2009
- Five dead in Somalia airport shelling as president flies out - Jun 12, 2008
- Ethiopia completes Somalia pullout - Jan 25, 2009
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- Six killed as Ethiopian troops fire on minibus in Somalia - Aug 14, 2008
- Somali insurgents vow revenge against US for Al Qaeda raid - Sep 15, 2009
- Islamist rebels receiving weapons from Yemen: Somali minister - Jan 04, 2010
- At least six dead in car bombing at Somalia airport - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: abdullahi yusuf ahmed, armoured vehicle, attack police, capital mogadishu, government troops, guerrilla war, horn of africa, islamic courts, islamic insurgents, makeshift camps, mohamed siad barre, mortar attack, nearby school, opposition figures, peace deal, roadside bomb attack, setting fire, siad barre, somali president, transitional government