Somali pirates seize ship with 12 crewSeptember 25th, 2010 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Sep 25 (IANS) Somali pirates have seized a Panama-flagged ship with 12 Ukrainian crew in the Somali Basin Saturday, Xinhua reported.
The European Union (EU) Naval Force Somalia (Navfor) said the MV Lugela was hijacked early Saturday after sending a distress alert to its Greek operator, EU anti-piracy force said.
“The vessel was in the Somali Basin, approximately 900 nautical miles East of Eyl, Somalia. A short while later, the vessel altered course to sail towards the Somali coast. There has been no contact with the ship throughout this incident,” Naval Force spokesman John Harbour said.
He said after having transited through the Gulf of Aden, the MV Lugela was sailing towards Republic of Mauritius with a cargo of steel bars and wires. “The MV Lugela, deadweight 4,281 tonnes, has a crew of 12, all Ukrainian,” Harbour said.
Somalia is at the entrance to the Gulf of Aden, which leads to the Red Sea and the Suez Canal, one of the world’s most important shipping channels.
The country has been plagued by factional fighting between warlords and hasn’t had a functioning central administration since the 1991 ouster of former dictator Mohammed Siad Barre.
- Maltese-flagged cargo ship released after being hijacked - Jul 29, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack ship with Indian crew - Aug 02, 2010
- Panama-flagged merchant vessel carrying cement bags hijacked in the Gulf of Aden - Aug 02, 2010
- Malta-flagged vessel seized by pirates in the Gulf of Aden - Sep 09, 2010
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Ship unresponsive, Indian Navy calls off escort (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Somali pirates release Panama-flagged MV VOC Daisy - Oct 19, 2010
- Bahamas-flagged merchant vessel escapes pirate attack - Nov 17, 2010
- Indian Navy abandons escort of freed vessel (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Pakistan to seek UN help in hijacked crewmen release - Aug 27, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack two more ships, release third: source - Dec 29, 2009
- Somali pirates hijack three Thai ships, 77 crew - Apr 20, 2010
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Freed merchant vessel crew safely proceeding to Oman: Government - Jun 15, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Thai cargo ship carrying 27 crew members - Dec 25, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,