Somali pirates release Greek shipDecember 13th, 2008 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Dec 13 (Xinhua) Somali pirates Saturday freed a Greek chemical tanker hijacked Oct 10 in the Gulf of Aden with a crew of 20, a regional maritime official confirmed Saturday.Andrew Mwangura, East Africa’s coordinator of the Seafarers Assistance Program (SAP) said the MV Action was currently sailing in safe waters. It was feared that three members of its crew were dead.
“MV Action was released by pirates. She is currently limping to safe waters. It is feared that three crew members lost their lives under questionable circumstances,” Mwangura told Xinhua over the telephone.
Mwangura did not say whether the owners of the Panama-flagged ship paid a ransom for the release of the vessel and how the three members of the crew died.
Somali pirates have hijacked some 40 ships this year and currently hold about 15 vessels and their teams of crew.
UN diplomats said the United States has circulated a draft Security Council resolution proposing that all nations and regional groups chasing pirates off the Somali coast be allowed to follow them on land and in the air.
- Somali pirates release ship with all Indian crew - Apr 16, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack ship with Indian crew - Aug 02, 2010
- Pakistan to seek UN help in hijacked crewmen release - Aug 27, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Bermuda-flagged ship - Mar 24, 2010
- Family seeks release of Indian sailor from pirates - Apr 07, 2012
- Somali pirates seize ship with 23 Chinese crew - Apr 11, 2010
- Somali pirates seize ship with 12 crew - Sep 25, 2010
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Ship owners ask Somali pirates to release seven Indians (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Thai cargo ship carrying 27 crew members - Dec 25, 2010
- Ship with 21 Indian crewmen aboard released - Jan 14, 2012
- Somali pirates release Panama-flagged MV VOC Daisy - Oct 19, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Somali pirates release Vietnamese ship - Sep 18, 2011