Somali pirates hijack ship with Malta flagMay 2nd, 2009 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, May 2 (Xinhua) Somali pirates have hijacked a Malta-flagged ship with 28 Ukrainian crew on board in the Indian Ocean, a maritime official said Saturday.
The Malta-flagged MV Ariana was seized late Friday, Andrew Mwangura, East Africa Coordinator of Seafarers Assistance Programme, said.
“The vessel was sailing from Brazil to the Middle East” at the time of the incident, Mwangura said. “The crew are all Ukrainian and we believe they are safe.”
The incident came hours after a Portuguese warship thwarted an attack on a Norwegian vessel in the Gulf of Aden. The warship was part of a NATO patrol in the region.
The Portuguese warship sent a helicopter to help the Norwegian oil tanker Kition after a distress call was made. The incident occurred some 161 km off the Somali coast.
NATO said the helicopter chased the pirates back to their “mother ship”, and briefly detained about 19 pirates.
Somali pirates have hijacked dozens of ships last year and collected millions of dollars in ransom from the shipping companies.
The piracy threat in Somali waters has pushed up the insurance premiums which resulted in high freight costs.
- Somali pirates hijack Bermuda-flagged ship - Mar 24, 2010
- Somali pirates seize cargo ship with 18 crew - Sep 09, 2010
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Malta-flagged vessel seized by pirates in the Gulf of Aden - Sep 09, 2010
- Somali pirates seize ship with 12 crew - Sep 25, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Somali pirates seize ship with 23 Chinese crew - Apr 11, 2010
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Ship with 20 Indian crew members hijacked, freed - Jan 10, 2012
- Somali pirates release ship with all Indian crew - Apr 16, 2011
- Hijacked merchant vessel released, Indian crew safe - Aug 13, 2011
- Somali pirates seize Indian vessel - Dec 22, 2009
- Somali pirates seize UAE owned ship - Mar 30, 2010
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Back channel efforts on for Indian sailors' release (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: ariana, distress call, east africa, freight costs, gulf of aden, hijack, insurance premiums, malta flag, mother ship, nairobi, norwegian oil, oil tanker, pirates hijack ship, ransom, seafarers, shipping companies, somali coast, somali pirates, somali waters, xinhua