Somali pirates free Greek shipDecember 10th, 2008 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Dec 10 (Xinhua) Somali pirates have released a Greek ship, MV Capt Stephanos, which they hijacked in the Gulf of Aden in September, a regional maritime organisation said Tuesday.The ship along with 19 crewmembers was released late Monday, East Africa Seafarers Assistance Programme said in a statement. Seventeen Filipino sailors, one Ukrainian and a Chinese citizen were on board the ship when it was hijacked Sep 21.
“The ship’s holding company Chartworld Shipping Corp (Athens) confirmed the release of MV Capt Stephanos, along with the crewmembers after 11 weeks of captivity,” the statement said.
All the crewmembers are in good health, the Ukrainian foreign ministry said.
The ship is currently sailing towards Brindisi port in Italy.
Maritime officials said that there has been a surge in piracy attacks this year in the Gulf of Aden, forcing countries to send their warships to the region to police the busy shipping route. In addition, millions of dollars have been spent in ransoms to release the hijacked ships.
At least 15 foreign vessels, including a Saudi tanker Sirius Star, with millions of dollars of crude oil and a Ukrainian cargo ship MV Faina, carrying Soviet-era tanks, are still in the custody of the pirates, they said.
The US, Russia, India, NATO and the European Union have all sent their warships to Somali waters to end piracy.
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Bermuda-flagged ship - Mar 24, 2010
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- 53 Indian sailors still under Somali pirates captivity - Mar 10, 2011
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Seafarers march against piracy - Apr 28, 2011
- Back channel efforts on for Indian sailors' release (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Indian seafarers reach Mumbai after being released by Somali pirates - Feb 18, 2010
- Somali pirates using aggressive new tactics like torture - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Somali pirates release Greek ship, then hijack another - Jan 17, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack ship with Malta flag - May 02, 2009
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011