Somali pirates free Brit couple after 388 daysNovember 14th, 2010 - 7:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov.14 (ANI): Somalian pirates have freed Kent couple Paul and Rachel Chandler 388 days after they were kidnapped from their yacht.
According to The Telegraph, the Chandlers are now under the protection of local government officials close to Somalia’s border with Ethiopia, and are expected to fly to safety in Kenya later on Sunday.
It is understood that a ransom was paid.
The British Foreign Office did not confirm this, and only said they were “investigating” the reports.
A spokesman for the Chandlers’ family could not immediately be reached.
Sources in the Somali town of Adado, 220 miles northwest of Mogadishu, said the Chandlers were “safe and well” and would be offered food and a shower at the home of the town’s governor, Mohamed Aden Tiiceey. (ANI)
- Sailor couple held by pirates aim to finish voyage - Jun 11, 2012
- Pirates free Briton after six months - Mar 21, 2012
- Rachel and Paul Chandler set sail again - Sep 11, 2012
- Kidnapped Brit couple kept fit by doing yoga and aerobics - Nov 22, 2010
- Ill Brit hostages refusing to eat or drink, say Somali pirates - Nov 16, 2009
- Virginia court convicted Somali pirates accused of killing four Americans - Mar 11, 2011
- Freed by Somalian pirates, UK couple to return home today - Nov 15, 2010
- Gurkhas, sonic arms, razor wire protecting cruise passengers from Somali pirates - Apr 18, 2011
- British couple with Somali pirates fears death 'in days' - Jan 22, 2010
- British couple freed by Somali pirates after year in captivity to "return to the UK very soon" - Nov 15, 2010
- Relieved Chandlers relive horrendous Somalia captivity - Nov 28, 2010
- 26 sailors rescued from Somali pirates - Jul 18, 2012
- UAE oil tanker freed by pirates - Jul 29, 2011
- India mulls law to battle sea pirates - Mar 12, 2011
- Pirates Abduct 43 Sailors; Holding Them for Ransom - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,