Somali pirates demand $5 mn for Ukraine shipSeptember 28th, 2008 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Mogadishu, Sep 28 (DPA) Somali pirates in possession of a Ukrainian ship Sunday demanded $5 million in ransom, after originally asking for $35 million, said Andrew Mwangura, head of East Africa’s Seafarer’s Assistance Programme.The ship was carrying 33 tanks and “weapons of all kinds” destined for Kenya, said a spokesman for the pirates identified as Januna Ali Jama.
The reduction of the ransom was likely due to the fact that the tanks were used, and that the pirates faced greater risk of arrest should they attempt to unload the equipment, said Mwangura.
The reduced ransom being asked for still exceeds previous demands, which usually hover around the $1-2 million mark.
Meanwhile, the BBC reported that a US Navy destroyer had approached within visibility range of the captured ship. There was no word as to any plan of action by the US military.
A Russian military vessel was also said to be headed to the area.
The ship was seized late Thursday off Somalia as it headed for the Kenyan port of Mombasa. A total of 21 crewmembers - 17 Ukrainians, three Russians and one Latvian - were onboard when the ship was chased down and boarded by armed men in three launches.
Ukraine Defence Minister Yury Yekhanurov confirmed Saturday in Kiev that the vessel was transporting 33 medium T-72 tanks “and a substantial amount of military materials”.
Armoured personnel carriers and munitions are also believed to be part of the delivery.
Piracy is rife in the Gulf of Aden - a strategic shipping route off Somalia - with over a dozen ships currently in the hands of armed groups, the latest victim being a Greek vessel seized Saturday.
- German chemical tanker with 19 Indians freed by Somali pirates - Dec 29, 2010
- Somali pirates release ship with all Indian crew - Apr 16, 2011
- Three warships hem in hijacked Ukrainian ship - Sep 30, 2008
- Somali pirates seize Ukrainian ship carrying tanks (Lead) - Sep 26, 2008
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Somali pirates seize Indian vessel - Dec 22, 2009
- Somali pirates hijack Indian vessel - Dec 14, 2009
- Somali pirates seize UAE owned ship - Mar 30, 2010
- Panamanian-flagged vessel pirated off Somalia - Nov 11, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Somali pirates seize tanker with 28 North Korean crew - Nov 17, 2009
- Somali pirates hijack German-owned ship with crew of 12 - Jan 26, 2011
- New ships seized as supertanker anchors off Somalia - Nov 19, 2008
- Indian Navy seeks report on abduction of Indian sailors off Somalia - Mar 30, 2010
- Ship owners ask Somali pirates to release seven Indians (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011