Somali pirates attack second US vesselApril 15th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.15 (ANI): Somali pirates have attacked another US merchant ship off the coast of Somalia using rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons.
The pirates damaged the Liberty Sun, which was carrying a cargo of food aid, but were not able to board it, reports the BBC.
After coming under fire, the Liberty Sun immediately requested assistance from the USS Bainbridge, said owners Liberty Maritime Corp in a statement.
The navy destroyer arrived some hours later, by which time the pirates had gone.
The BBC said that the latest attack shows the defiance and danger posed by pirates off the Somali coast.
“We are grateful and pleased that no-one was injured and the crew and the ship are safe,” said the Liberty Maritime Corp statement.
The ship did sustain some damage, it said, but was able to resume its journey to Mombasa.
In the last 48 hours, four vessels have been seized in the same area. Gunmen in up to four skiffs took a Lebanese-owned cargo ship, the MV Sea Horse. A Greek-owned bulk carrier, the MV Irene was also seized. Two Egyptian fishing boats were held the previous day.Meanwhile, three Somali pirates who had taken French hostages are in custody in France, French prosecutors say. The pirates were captured during a military operation to free hostages taken on the Tanit, a French yacht overtaken by hostages in the Gulf of Aden on April 4. (ANI)
- Somali pirates release Greek ship, then hijack another - Jan 17, 2011
- US ship attacked by Somali pirates escapes capture - Apr 15, 2009
- Somali pirates hijack German-owned ship with crew of 12 - Jan 26, 2011
- UN chief appalled by Somali pirates' killing of Americans - Feb 23, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Ship with 24 Russians seized off Togo - Aug 30, 2012
- Indian Navy captures 61 Somali pirates - Mar 14, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack U.S.-operated container ship - Dec 11, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Indian Navy captures 28 Somali pirates near Lakshadweep islands - Feb 07, 2011
- Ship with 20 Indian crew members hijacked, freed - Jan 10, 2012
- German-owned vessel released from pirate control released - Apr 14, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Navy rushes warship to Somali coast - Apr 18, 2011
- Bahamas-flagged merchant vessel escapes pirate attack - Nov 17, 2010
- Another piracy attempt foiled, 16 pirates held - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: automatic weapons, bulk carrier, cargo ship, fishing boats, food aid, free hostages, french hostages, french prosecutors, gulf of aden, liberty sun, merchant ship, military operation, navy destroyer, rocket propelled grenades, sea horse, skiffs, somali coast, somali pirates, tanit, uss bainbridge