Somali gunmen kidnap two UN workersJune 28th, 2008 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Mogadishu, June 28 (DPA) Gunmen have abducted two people working for the UN’ mine action programme in Somalia, the BBC said Saturday. Reports said that gunmen seized the two, believed to be Scandinavian, and a Somali aid worker after temporarily gaining control of a town in southern Somalia.
Nobody from the UN’s mine programme in Somali or its coordinating office in neighbouring Kenya was available to confirm the reports.
Many aid workers have been abducted since the man believed to be Al Qaeda’s top operative in the country, Aden Hashi Ayro, was killed in a US air strike May 1.
The head of the UN refugee agency UNHCR’s Mogadishu programme was kidnapped last weekend and is still being held.
Several other aid workers have been in the hands of gunmen for months and the World Food Programme has seen three of its drivers killed.
Ayro was the leader of Islamic militant group al-Shabaab, the armed wing of the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC). Al-Shabaab said it would target foreign troops and workers in revenge.
Militants have been waging a guerrilla war against government troops since the UIC was ousted from power at the beginning of 2007 with Ethiopian assistance.
The interim government has been unable to achieve stability in the Horn of Africa country that has been plagued by chaos and civil war since the ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre 1991.
A peace deal was agreed between moderate Islamists and the government in early June, but al-Shabaab has not signed up to the agreement and has vowed to keep fighting until Ethiopian troops leave the country.
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- Top UN official killed in Somalia: reports - Jul 07, 2008
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Somali gunmen releases abducted UN workers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2008
- Somali gunmen release head of UN refugee agency - Aug 28, 2008
- Aid agencies rethinking Somali position as attacks increase - Jul 15, 2008
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Somali insurgents vow revenge against US for Al Qaeda raid - Sep 15, 2009
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- UN condemns killing of its official in Somalia - Jul 08, 2008
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 10 dead in suicide blast at Mogadishu airport - Sep 09, 2010
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- 14 hurt in Nairobi grenade attack - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: aid worker, aid workers, coordinating office, ethiopian troops, government troops, guerrilla war, hashi, horn of africa, horn of africa country, islamic courts, islamic militant group, mogadishu, mohamed siad barre, peace deal, refugee agency, siad barre, somali aid, southern somalia, us air, world food programme